1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Mauser 98 safety

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by sniperloopas, Nov 24, 2011.

1. sniperloopas

sniperloopas New Member

I have a Mauser 98 that has been modified to shoot .284 winchester. The safety is still up on top by the bolt action. Does anyone know if their is a conversion to eliminate that and put it down by the trigger? I assume a new trigger might be in order too.
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Yep. Replace the existing military bolt shroud with a commercial shroud, install an aftermarket trigger with safety, inlet the stock for the safety.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

A safety by the trigger? For a Mauser? You mean like at the back of the trigger guard cross-bolt safety, like comes on a Remington shotgun?

I'm having trouble visualizing this. I know of conversions to have a smaller safety, that will work with a scope, but they are still on the bolt.
  4. sniperloopas

sniperloopas New Member

Stone chimney looks like you know what I`m talking about. Now who sells these parts? Send me a link
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

You can also get a side-mount safety that will mount on the existing bolt shroud instead of the trigger-group mounted safety that StoneChimney and Hawg are referring to.

Here are a couple from Brownells...
    A Beuhler-style that uses your current bolt shroud by Timney: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=...1=Mauser__98/Product/BUEHLER-STYLE-LOW-SAFETY
    A replacement bolt shroud with a Model 70 style 3-position safety by Dakota Arms: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=...t/M-98-MODEL-70-STYLE-SHROUD-WITH-WING-SAFETY
    There is also a Model 70 style shroud made by Gentry.
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The Model 70 type safety mods for the 98 Mauser are a bit out of the typical DIY scope. We do those conversions for those that want them; I like the M70 safety best anyway.

I have provided the links by PM, sniper. If you need help we can install the shroud on your existing bolt, polish and blue.
  8. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I have the Buehler style on mine. I like it. It clears a scope. when you flip it off of safe it does have a soft click to it. So if you wanting to hunt with it be as jentle as you can.
  9. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member