Mauser 98 safety

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by sniperloopas, Nov 24, 2011.

1. sniperloopas

sniperloopas New Member

I have a Mauser 98 that has been modified to shoot .284 winchester. The safety is still up on top by the bolt action. Does anyone know if their is a conversion to eliminate that and put it down by the trigger? I assume a new trigger might be in order too.
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Yep. Replace the existing military bolt shroud with a commercial shroud, install an aftermarket trigger with safety, inlet the stock for the safety.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

A safety by the trigger? For a Mauser? You mean like at the back of the trigger guard cross-bolt safety, like comes on a Remington shotgun?

I'm having trouble visualizing this. I know of conversions to have a smaller safety, that will work with a scope, but they are still on the bolt.
  4. sniperloopas

sniperloopas New Member

Stone chimney looks like you know what I`m talking about. Now who sells these parts? Send me a link
  5. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

6. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

You can also get a side-mount safety that will mount on the existing bolt shroud instead of the trigger-group mounted safety that StoneChimney and Hawg are referring to.

Here are a couple from Brownells...
    A Beuhler-style that uses your current bolt shroud by Timney: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=...1=Mauser__98/Product/BUEHLER-STYLE-LOW-SAFETY
    A replacement bolt shroud with a Model 70 style 3-position safety by Dakota Arms: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=...t/M-98-MODEL-70-STYLE-SHROUD-WITH-WING-SAFETY
    There is also a Model 70 style shroud made by Gentry.
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

The Model 70 type safety mods for the 98 Mauser are a bit out of the typical DIY scope. We do those conversions for those that want them; I like the M70 safety best anyway.

I have provided the links by PM, sniper. If you need help we can install the shroud on your existing bolt, polish and blue.
  8. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I have the Buehler style on mine. I like it. It clears a scope. when you flip it off of safe it does have a soft click to it. So if you wanting to hunt with it be as jentle as you can.
  9. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member