Mauser 98

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

bovusxl
    (10/4/01 12:45:55 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Mauser 98
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A friend is willing to give me a Mauser 98 Rifle for next to nothing. He says that it's a good project rifle and he showed me plenty of after-market goodies for it (from advanced technologies etc...). I don't have the specifics of the rifle, just that it's a Mauser 98...

My question is, what is your feedback on the rifle? I'm not looking for anything of extreme range, but accuracy out to about 200 yards would be sufficient...though something along the lines of 600 yards would be much better.

I'll probably just give in and buy a new Remington or Winchester, but the idea of having a project rifle is very appealing and I may just take a stab at it for the heck of it.

Does anyone have an opinion on this rifle and the ammunition for it? All thoughts are greatly appreciated, words doubly so...

AntiqueDr
    (10/4/01 5:05:09 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Mauser 98
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Project" rifles are great if you have the time and money for the project! Be aware, though, that all Mauser actions are NOT created equal and some are better than others for rebarrelling, etc.

Still, next-to-nothing would be pretty tempting.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Spanish Cruffler
    (10/4/01 5:31:59 am)
    Lots of factors there depending on type of Mauser, etc. A majority of them you run across are 8mm Mauser, but there are also 7mm Mausers, and several other calibers. Be sure of your caliber before firing it! Several American ammo producers make hunting loads for the 8mm and 7mm Mauser, and it should be readily available.

Xracer
    (10/4/01 8:06:44 am)
    For "next to nothing", how can you refuse. Worst comes to worst, you can stand it on it's butt and use it for a hat rack!

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/4/01 8:17:03 am)
    if you're gonna use it for a project gun make sure it isn't some sloppy wore out action cause then it's really worth next to nothing

bovusxl
    (10/4/01 10:25:44 am)
    Okay, here's an update:

My buddy says he got it from a Guns and Ammo magazine ad. He says they were brand new, never fired and in storage for the last 50 years. He paid around $250 for it and he's never fired it himself. I think I've seen the ad before...I believe there is a web site for the company that places those ads.

I didn't get whether it was a 7mm or 8mm though. I'll have to ask him that tonight.

It's a Mauser 98K...

AntiqueDr
    (10/4/01 12:11:54 pm)
    I think you are describing an ad for Mitchell's Mausers. If so, and if the gun is truly in that condition and all matching, it would not be a good candidate for conversion. Fine gun, yes, but there are too many mixmaster imports out there just as suitable for conversion without the collector appeal.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

Spanish Cruffler
    (10/4/01 2:23:28 pm)
    Definately if it is in that good of condition, sell it to a collector, than buy a cheaper rifle to convert - pocket the difference!

kdubaz
    (10/4/01 5:46:58 pm)
    Now, I ask you - Is that any way to treat a friend!? (Heh, heh, heh!)
    Keep below the ridgeline!

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/4/01 8:05:06 pm)
    If it is in that good of a condition and if it isn't a mix matched type - please don't use it as a project gun. Do as the others say and sell it to a collector or partial sell and have them send you a Mauser that is mix matched and you can use as a project gun.

Okay so I admit I'm partial to Mauser's and Enfields and I really hate seeing guns that are in good shape get butchered (which isn't to say people can't do it - I just cry a lot when they do).

bovusxl
    (10/4/01 10:07:41 pm)
    Yeah, I figured since he was pretty much giving it to me that it was not the best piece of work. But if the numbers match and it's virgin, forget it...I'll rack it and admire it.

There shall be no butchering a complete collector's rifle. I still love the Mauser stock from Advanced Technologies. I'd get a Mauser just to see it in that stock...

Spanish Cruffler
    (10/5/01 5:37:22 am)
    Way to go! Best decision you could make. Heck, you can pick up one of those Turkish Mausers for around $50.00 for a project gun.

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/6/01 5:57:39 pm)
    And if you DO get tempted to cut it, let me know, I'll HAPPILY give you a little more than next to nothing for it.
    I'm so PROUD to be an AMERICAN...

velvetnsteel
    (1/31/02 10:49:55 pm)
    Just curious as to how this saga ended........if it ever did!! I love the old Mausers, and (in my numble opinion) they made good knock around and hunting rifles just as they are chambered. Especially if you handload. You can pump that 7X57 or 8X57 up pretty good if you have a model 98 action ingood shape.

MO JENKINS
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/18/02 1:37:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: bovusxl, what about that Mauser 98?
    Well buddy, what happened? Whad'ya end up gettin'? Like I always said, "if it's FREE, it's for ME!" And mauser in great condition, sellin' for small change, well it might as well be free! You drop that thing within a mile of me, an' it won't even hit the floor!
    Your Buddy,
    MO
  2. rommel

rommel New Member

i've heard alot about the mauser 98, from what i've heard 8mm is best and its quite accurate, one of the best bolt actions i've come across and i was considering buying one myself, accurate @ apprx 2km depending on model, the K98k maybe slightly less.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi rommel......welcome to TFF.

Indeed the 8mm Mauser is a fine cartridge but "accurate @ apprx 2km depending on model"? I don't think so......2km is 2 kilometers (approx. a mile and a half).

If you're looking for the most accurate military rifle with a Mauser 98K action, take a look at the M38 Swedish Mauser in caliber 6.5x55mm.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauserswedishm38/index.asp
  4. rommel

rommel New Member

ty, ive heard alot of things about the m98 i consider buying one a couple months ago but didnt have the cash so i figured id check out some other options while i can
  5. The Big Dog

The Big Dog New Member

Hi,

If you really want a project gun, IMO the Mauser 98 is the way to go. They're easy to rebarrel, easy to restock, lots of trigger choices? If you want to learn gunsmithing, this is the gun to learn on.

Midway Shooting Supplies has an awesome DVD on "How to rebarrel, Tune and Blueprint Military Bolt Action Rifles". This is one great video on how to trick out your Mauser. Richards Micro-fit has lots of different types of stocks for the 98 Mauser on their Bargin page. I've must have gotten close to 20 stocks this way. Every time I get a nice stock, somebody wants it worst than I do. More than half of the stocks I've gotten, somebody has talked me out of.

I have one Mauser 98 I use for testing wildcat cartridges to see if they will work for a varmint rifle I want to build later. I have done 22/6mm Ackley, 243 Ackley, 6mm Ackley, 6.5/06, 308, 300 Win Mag. I'm getting ready to try a 6mm/06 Ackley, 7mm-08, 6.5-284. With the Mauser action, I like to use take-off barrels or those in the budget range to see if that idea will work before I spring for a match barrel. I've found that the 300 Win Mag and 6.5/06 need a longer action for the bullets to be closer to the rifling than in the Mauser.

I've also found that I can adjust the Bold trigger to just under 2 lbs for target shooting. One Mauser I sold to a friend when I had a weak moment, out shot my Custom 338 Lapua Mag at 500 meters last weekend. He hit 18 4" clay birds in a row with a MAUSER!!!!!!! The only reason this shooting streak ended was he ran out of his handloads. This is the first gun I helped him build and it's NOT FOR SALE. I wanted to get Curt into shooting centerfire so I sold him this gun in parts for $10. DUMB move on my part. Now I have to eat a lot of crow. You know that Crow kind of taste like Chicken after awhile?

Catch you later

The Big Dog
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

I have a gun dealer near me that I buy all his old Mauser 98 receivers from. So far I have three and have paid $35 just for the barreled action. Try the gun dealers and gunsmiths near you. Many have them lying in the corner of their shops.