Mauser 98

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by zkovach, Apr 20, 2011.

1. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

I have a 1914 Mauser and it has a wood fajen stock on it. It has a military barrel with the step like contour.

I am thinking to change this stock out. I noticed 95% of the stocks out there are for sporter barrels.

Can I use a sporter channel stock or not?

Do most people switch out their military barrel for a new sporter barrel?

Thanks guys!
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

People usually swap out the military barrel when 1) the military barrel is worn out or 2) they want to change caliber.

If you want to keep the military barrel, you might have to buy a semi-inletted stock and inlet the barrel channel to fit the barrel. But stocks already inletted for the military barrel have been available for years, and I didn't think they were completely off the market. I think I would keep trying.

Jim
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

You can use a sporter stock, it will just look funny because the sporter channel is tapered all the way down and the military barrel between steps is straight.
  4. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

So looking down on it there will be gaps in certain parts. As far as semi inlet does that mean the only thing I need to sand down is the barrel channel and the action is already done?