Mauser C96 Prussian Contract

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by matt170, Apr 30, 2012.

1. matt170

matt170 New Member

Hello!

I have a recently come across an opportunity to acquire a Mauser C96 Red 9. It comes with a matching stock, spare magazine spring, cleaning rod, and leather rig. The serial number is 15340. When I called the seller, he stated it was mechanically operable, the rifling was strong, and the bore wasn't corroded. There is some holster wear on the barrel and the finish is worn by the hammer. There is no surface rust or pitting. All leather straps and stitching are intact. I wanted to ask the forum if you see anything that is concering (I know components to these firearms are heavily faked) and what you think it would be worth. Any comments/opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      82.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      90.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      120.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      84.7 KB
      Views:
  2. matt170

matt170 New Member

more pics

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      95.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      63.9 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      93.7 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      73.9 KB
      Views:
  3. matt170

matt170 New Member

more...

Attached Files:

• 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      92.8 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      50.3 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      84.2 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      54.5 KB
      Views:
  4. matt170

matt170 New Member

last...

Attached Files:

• 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      94.3 KB
      Views:
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The gun, holster and stock look good to me. Those guns were numbered in their own series so the low number is OK The barrel does appear to have some pitting, and the catch for the stock cap appears to be missing, but that is all I see wrong. Nice rig.

Jim
  6. matt170

matt170 New Member

Thank you for your reply, Jim. What would you pay for something like this?
  7. fishguts

fishguts Member

nice rig, i just turned down $2000.00 for mine from a collector, mine looks to be in a little better shape but i dont have the same holster as you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Matt, with the stock, holster and tool, I would WAG on the value at around $4000, 10% more if it has the eagle marking on the front of the magazine.

A nice kit and NOT reblued as many have been. Part of the Mauser "myth" is that all Mausers have a highly polished and blued finish. Those guns were wartime production and did not, but some owners, misled by the myth, have "restored" them by having them polished and reblued. That one is quite normal and any of them that are polished and blued have been worked on.

Jim
  9. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

The gun, stock and leather are all original, except for the little leather strap that is riveted to the stock - that is a later addition and does affect the value a bit as it produced 2 holes in the stock.
    I would suggest taking the gun apart to make sure all the parts match, as the value would be affected also, if there are mismatched parts.
    The grips should be numbered inside either with the full serial number or the last 3 digits.
    I would guess about $3000-3500 mid retail...
    Last edited: May 1, 2012
  10. matt170

matt170 New Member

Gents,

Thank you all for your comments and pictures. Your advice helped me a lot and is very much appreciated!

There was no eagle marking, but both grips had the 5 digit serial number. I ended up paying just under $4k for it.

Thanks again!
  11. fishguts

fishguts Member

what does the eagle marking mean, that it was in the german army during ww1? sure its not there matt, its pretty small.
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The eagle is a military proof mark. One source indicates it was applied at Spandau to guns that were processed or stocked there. I don't know why; the Germans seem to have had thousands of folks with stamps in their hands, hammering on everything in sight. One would think that the awesome amount of manpower involved would have been better used at the front.

All those "red 9" pistols were made and delivered under the military contract; none were sold on the commercial market, so they were all "in the German army during WW1".

Jim
  13. fishguts

fishguts Member

so mine was processed in Spandau, again more great info, thanks jim.