Mauser chileno modelo 1895

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cclyburn, Oct 5, 2009.

1. cclyburn

cclyburn New Member

Hello I am a new member. My wifes father passed away about 4 years ago and we recenlty decided it was time to find new homes for some of his hunting gear. I have a Mauser Chileno Mod. 1895 7mm. Looking for any information on this rifle. Age? Was told only Mauser 7mm round will work in this gun. True? Any ideas on value?

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Purty. Someone put some money in that thing. Yeah, unless it's been rechambered, it takes 7mm Mauser, also called the 7x57mm.

Hey, all you C&R people. This started life as a military rifle. Wanna call it "Bubbaed"? :p
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I wouldn't exactly call this one bubbaed. That one is purty. I would say a lot of time, money, and love was put into that beauty!!
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I don't think I'd call it a Bubba-job either. That is some real nice woodwork on that rifle.

As Alpo posted, the original caliber should be 7x57 Mauser. It looks like the original barrel on it (matching serial number to the receiver) BUT it might have been rechambered to another 7mm cartridge. A trip to the gunsmith for a chamber cast would be the best way to positively ID the caliber.

As for the value...
    The '95 actions aren't as refined or quite as strong as the '98 style actions and as such they usually bring quite a bit less when sporterized. BUT...the work that went into this rifle will definitely push it a step up above the usual "chop the military stock down and slap a scope on it" bubba job. Naturally, the collector value isn't there since it has been sporterized too.
    I've picked up some '95 Mausers with decent stock work for under $200 but I've seen them priced at up to $350 too with that quality of refinishing on em.
    If it was just a "bubba" gun, I'd have to stick with $100-150...but this one definitely is nicer.
    All depends if you can find a buyer...

Is the bolt also numbers matching to the rest of the rifle? And how is the headspace?

If you do decide to shoot it, and the headspace is okay, be sure to stick with "old Mauser" loads from the reloading manuals. It would still be a great shooter, just don't try to hot-rod it!
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  5. zb338

zb338 New Member

When I was a kid I bought one of those sporterized Mex' Mausers.
    They only have one locking lug so they don't have the strength
    of modern stuff. I will tell you one thing though they do shoot. I
    can't tell you how many pasture poodles, crows and deer I shot
    with that rifle. Why did I sell it? I'm like the rest of you, always
    looking for something newer and better. Zeke
  6. kenmize

kenmize New Member

Very nice. I have a 1895 Chileno Mauser also. I'm a little scared to shoot it, but it is in really nice condition. I also need a cleaning rod for mine, if anyone knows where I can find one.
  7. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

I cann't make out any steps in the original barrel, so I am wondering if this one has been rebarreled, and could be another caliber. I would have it checked by a competent gun smith to varifie the correct chambering. This rifle had little expence spared on it, and may be rebarreled as well. JMHO...

Regards, Kirk
  8. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

I agree.. when bubba does a gun.. it usually involves minimal refinishing.. and a hacksaw... :)
  9. Russ Jackson

Russ Jackson Member

Sporterized Military Rifles that are done well are starting to turn some dollars. Especially work done years ago. I am betting the action is smooth as silk. You might get 3 or 4 hundred for it. Walk it around a gun show and see what happens.
  10. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

There is a clear difference between a 'Bubba Gun' and a professionally done Sporter. Yours falls into the latter class. Yours looks to be a very nice rifle.

As far as caliber, if it were a rebarrel, I'd suspect the caliber would have been stamped on the barrel. My guess is that it may well be still in the 7X57 Mauser caliber and that who ever did the work machine-turned the barrel to remove the military 'steps'. And if it IS still 7X57 - that is a very good caliber for big game hunting. There was a man many years before I was a twinkle in my daddy's eye who hunted big game in Africa with a 7X57 Mauser. He never got eaten by anything or anybody, so it must have been good enough for the job.

Value wise - I's guesstimate $250 to $350 at a Gun Show. It is a very nice rifle, but 'old school', and new rifles are available in the gee-whiz calibers for not much more.
  11. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Well, if he sold it in 2009, you would have to adjust for inflation, it has been 4 years.:) I don't fell bad about posting on a zombie thread anymore:D
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  12. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Jim, would you be, by chance, referring to Mr. Bell?

I object to the term "Bubbaed". Bubba is simply a small child attempting to say "Brother". Brother and Sister were, for many years, the way MANY Southern families referred to their oldest male and female children. Boy I went to school with. He had two little brothers and a big sister. And the whole family - Mama, Daddy and all three boys - called that girl "Sister". My aunt called my father Brother 'til the day she died. I went to school with half a dozen "Bubbas".

But everyone knows that everyone is the south is a moron. And anyone named Bubba walks around in bib overalls, with one strap unhooked. The side buttons unbuttoned. No shirt. No drawers. Work boots caked in cow ****, with no socks. Old greasy hat. Five days worth of whiskers. And a mullet. And whatever is broken, "Ah, that ain't no problem. I kin fix that. Lemme go get my three big hammers and a crowbar".

So when someone says that any gun that has had work done on it has been "Bubbaed" annoys me. And while I have seen some completely atrocious examples of the gun-butcher's craft, I have also seen some beautiful examples of "sporterization", and some jerk-wad mil-surp lover turning his nose up at it because it's "been bubbaed".

So, if a gun's been butchered, say it's been butchered. And if you don't care for the way a gun has been customized, and it's not your gun, keep your damn mouth shut and your fingers off the keys.
  13. jim brady

Sorry, Alpo. I must have fallen into a trap. I am from the Ozarks of Missouri (Yankees call it 'Missourie' - but we correctly pronounce it 'Missourah"). No offence intended to my Southern brethren. The South has produced some of the finest minds and personalities of our Republic.

By the way - I think I've stated that the finest, most accurate rifle that I've ever owned or fired was a sporterized 1903 Springfield. That one was a build by a very good gunsmith. I am sorry, I must be getting old, but to what Mr. Bell do you refer? And I hope that no one read into my comments anything negative about this - or anyone else's rifle.

I can't wear my boots without socks - but I've been spotted a time or two with cow 'residue' on my boots. Too many years in uniform to not shave or get a haircut, either.
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That would be W. D. M. Bell. "Karamojo" Bell. Elephant hunter, that did much of his hunting with a .275 Rigby, as the 7x57 was called in England.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/bell_elephants.htm

As for the "Bubba" - that wasn't pointed at you. It was pointed at all the people on the internet that refer to any sporterization of a military rifle as "Bubbaed". That refer to everybody that does not love Evil Black Rifles as a "Fudd".

It grates on me. And every once in a while it gets to grating too hard, and I have to let loose.
  15. soundguy

lots of absolutes in this thread.

way more than real life i suspect....
  16. jim brady

Of Course! That was the man I had in mind. As I recall, he bagged his elephants and other African trophies with 175 grain bullets. I'm thinking that those were 'solids'. Kind of funny how in our country we consider the 7X57mm Mauser as 'marginal' for even deer. Most folks feel nekked in the woods unless they have a new whiz-bang caliber or at least a .300 Win Mag.
  17. soundguy

i used to hunt florida deer with .223 in a mini 14 never had a problem with it.

same with hogs in 30-30

i went to a buddies hunting camp one time.. and their minimum rules were 3006+ for ANY game.. even hogs. . ( really? ) Don't get me wrong. I have a remmy 700 3006 i LOVE to hunt with as well a bar in 243... but never felt i needed a 3006 for a average florida hog ( or deer ). I think 7x57 would be a fine hunting caliber.

I have a 300 weatherby mag.. but really.. can't use it to hunt in florida... other than to kill paper targets. same with any of my other larger guns in safari calibers. what are you gonna do with a 125# hog that you shot with a 458 winmag ? ( take a picture first is my recomendation! )
  18. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Use a solid to blow a half-inch hole all the way through him. :D
  19. soundguy

i have some 416 rigby in solids.. no 458 though..
  20. karlrudin

karlrudin Member

I empathize with Alpo on this one cause it seems I get a lot of it from my distant family that live in the politically correct and rocket scientists that live "up North". They think that if you live below the Mason-Dixon line, you are inbred, ignorant savages that don't wear shoes cause you can't tie them. I have lived in the South for 29 of my 47 years and I have seen master craftsmen of all different fields. From cars to cabinets. Yes it takes a master craftsmen to make a cabinet. Don't think so, try to make round faced doors and frames WITHOUT bending wood!. I have seen butchered military weapons that were done and some very fine ones done also. But if taking an old military rifle, breaking it down and adding new parts is called "Bubba-ing", well I got two in my house that I will put money on against any modern day rifle that comes out of a brown box, made by the folks "up North", ie, Remington, Winchester or Ruger. Mauser K98 byf44 with Black Walnut stock hand carved stock LEFT HANDED that you swore was custom, Douglas Hvy varmint barrel, Timney featherweight trigger, original metal polished to mirror shine then acid blued to a dark purple/black color. 300WinMag, MOA all day. Or a pawn shop special Savage110 plastic gun. Richards Micofit Black Walnut Tactical stock then "customized" to fit my skinny face along w/steel pillars and then bedded, bolt completely rebuilt from 7mm Magnum originally to 7mm-08. Shilen full bull 26' barrel with tight chamber. Talley steel tactical mounts and rings, Tasco Target 6-24x40AO and E-Z pull trigger assist 14oz trigger wt. This one is MOA all day also, but at 13.5lbs ANYONE can shoot it all day. See my images for pics and target. So I'm lucky to live in the South with the Bubba's and Carlos Hathcock who was from Arkansas. Y'all have a goodin'.