Mauser HSC/European 380 - Best Rounds?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Victor R., Feb 9, 2012.

1. Victor R.

Victor R. New Member

I recall reading many years ago that European manufactured .380s, such as the Mauser HSC I inherited from my dad, tended to have jamming problems with US manufactured ammo due to a lighter charge being typical in US rounds vs. European rounds.

I'm not sure if this is a myth or a truism, so I'm posting here in hopes of figuring that out.

Here's my situation: I'm planning to take a CCL class, and a young woman I'm friends with is planning to take the class with me. She doesn't own her own firearm at this point so I'm planning to loan her one of mine. She has small hands, so the Ruger & Berretta 9s I have might be a little uncomfortable; same with my dad's old Sig .45 (his last carry weapon - was Texas DPS).

The Mauser seems to be the best choice from a "size & comfort" perspective out of my choices, but I don't want to put a weapon in her hands that may be prone to jamming if I'm using underpowered ammo.

So, is this story about Euro-380s fact or crap? If fact, what is available on the US market that would be a good round for jam-free firing?

Many thanks.
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Don't know if it's fact or crap, but it seems using European-made ammo would solve the issue either way.
    Fiocchi (Italian), Sellier & Bellot (Czech), and Prvi Partizan (Serbian) are all loaded to CIP spec and are commercially available here in the US. I think MidwayUSA carries all three, but your local gun shop probably stocks at least one of these.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Oh, by the way, welcome to TFF!

Where have my manners gone today...
  4. Victor R.

Victor R. New Member

Thanks for the info, and the welcome!

I had seen the Fiocchi on "LuckyGunner" and noted it was rated well, but the only people that mentioned the firearm used, if I recall, said they pushed it through a Ruger LCP.

Sort of like the "California" rules that apply to so many things (firearms, cars...breathing), I wasn't sure if there were US import restrictions requiring a lighter load similar to US manufactured rounds (assuming the original notion that led to this post is true). Guess I could always ask the lead guitarist in my church band - he is with the ATF, after all, and might know a little something about any US restrictions...

Happy to hear other thoughts or experiences with specific ammo, particularly through the same weapon.

Thanks again.