Mauser HSc

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by watebo, May 22, 2010.

1. watebo

watebo New Member

Does anyone have information on this weapon. Cabela's has them for $300. Mauser HSc semiauto pistol in .380 7 + 1. Are they reliable and any info on quality would be appreciated.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

They are reliable but IMHO, overly complex. It sounds like they have them as part of a regular line, but I didn't know they were being made again. If so, I can't speak to the quality of the current guns, only to those made in WWII or shortly afterwards.

Jim
  3. williamd

williamd New Member

Had one of the early guns. It was a good pistol. Stolen years ago so hope whoever has it shoots himself in the foot. :mad:

Looked at Cabela's and these are surplus and the HSC has not been made since 1977. Will check if available in the Republico of CA.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  4. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I heard the WWII vintage Mauser HSc's were good shooters and reliable, but my early 70's vintage pistol was a jam-o-matic. I would have never relied on it for my life and that's why I got it. I ended up trading the Mauser for a Beretta 84. That gun is flawless.
  5. steve666

steve666 New Member

Great little pistol. And the price is good.
  6. group17

group17 New Member

How easy is it to get parts and mags for them if they haven't been built since 77?
  7. lead

lead Well-Known Member

I think the new ones are made in Italy, under license from Mauser. They are a better gun then the post war German models.
    I had a mid 60's, German model and it was terrible. Jammed alot, finally the trigger pin broke in half. It was a real disappointment. I've seen the new ones and think they are a better gun all around. Still, if I were buying right now, I'd just get another Bersa.

P.S. A local shop sold one to a guy I know. He had to order an extra mag from them, it took over a week to get it in. I guess no one has them in stock yet.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That pistol, like the Walthers, Sauers and other German pocket pistols, was designed primarily for the 7.65mm Browning (.32 ACP). But the import criteria under GCA 68 bans pistols in that caliber, while allowing guns in 9mm Browning Short (.380 ACP) to be imported. (Our wise leaders were told basically that .32 ACP was used by criminals and .380 ACP was the minimum that was any good for self defense - a line many people still believe as we see here from time to time - and they bought that nonsense.)

While Walther had made some PP and PPK pistols in .380, the other makers had not*, and they were not always successful in getting the guns to work in that caliber. So guns that worked fine for the Germans, failed here due to bureaucratic BS.

*Most of their sales in that era were to the German military and police and .380 was not in the official supply chain.

Jim