mauser igmod71

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by layin8, Aug 13, 2012.

1. layin8

layin8 New Member

i have a model 71 ig that was made in 1875.it has sommerda stamped on reciever,i have seen some staped with amberg and spandaugh but cant find any info on ones stamped with sommerda.does anyone have an idea on the value?
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I confess that I didn't know about ones marked Sommerda. Sommerda was the location of the Dreyse factory that made "needle guns" but I didn't know any Model 71s were made there. How about some pictures?

Jim
  3. layin8

layin8 New Member

Iwill try to post pictures today.The gun has the marking of IG MOD 71 so i figured it was a mauser.

doug
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The I.G. (Infanterie Gewehr - Infantry Rifle) Model [18]71 was a Mauser design, the first to be adopted by Prussia and most of the other German states. They were made by several German government arsenals and by private firms for sale abroad in both rifle and carbine versions. They were quite a good design for the day (better than the U.S. trapdoor of the same era), and the later 71/84, with a tubular magazine, was also widely adopted, though superceded in 1888 by the Model 1888 Commission Rifle, not a Mauser design.

Jim