Mauser K98 Price

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by freshmanguitar, Mar 18, 2012.

1. freshmanguitar

freshmanguitar New Member

This is a mauser I picked up about 5-6 months ago. Its Yugo stamped Mod.98. I heard that since it does not have the "48" after it, it means its the original barrel? On the front sight it has an eagle with "18" under it, cant figure out what year thats from, and ive done alottt of looking and asking in person, but no one near me knows k98s. the Bolt is eagle with 25 under it. Everything matches except the bolt. I payed 200 for it and I honestly thought I got a steal. What do you guys think its worth?

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I think your pictures are cellphone pictures, and they are fuzzy enough that you can't tell anything except it's a K98 Mauser.

Maybe with some good, CLEAR, SHARP, IN-FOCUS pictures, something could be opined about it.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It looks like a Mitchell Mauser, ex-Yugoslav, built from mixed parts, polished down, bolt polished, receiver and barrel reblued and the stock sanded and given a clear spray treatment. In other words, zero collector value. If the top of the receiver has not been ground down, it should give a code (like "bnz" or "dou") and the date the rifle was made.

At $200 you probably did OK. Any more would have been too much.

Jim
  4. freshmanguitar

Its not a mitchell, but it is a yugo. also somebody *not me* drilled and tapped it.

Attached Files:

5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Sorry, but the shiny bolt led me astray, it is characteristic of Mitchell's work; original K.98k bolts are blued. All in all, I would say that you probably got about what you paid for. In that shape and drilled & tapped, it has almost no collector value, so its value is as a curio or the basis for a hunting rifle.

Jim
  6. freshmanguitar

? it is blued, its the exact same color as everything other part of the gun lol