Mauser Mod 71 I.G.

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Toby, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Toby

Toby New Member

Educated opinions, since I cannot form one, please on this rifle. One of the reasons I can't is because all other guns I have seen on the web are either not in as good condition as mine or do not have the same numbers throughout. Here goes:
    Mauser I.G. Mod 71, 1874 date stamp, Serial number 3124P, same number throughout gun ie every strap, screw, bolt, receiver, trigger guard, muzzle strap, everywhere, 11.1 mm, OESTERR.WAFFFB.GES (armory?), FW cartouche, B.17.R2.219. unit cartouche on butt plate, other germanic cartouches carved into stock, obviously an issued weapon because it certainly has wear, nicks, and bumps throughout the wooden parts but not damaged, no cracks or breaks, no rust, and has a dulled silver/brass patina to it that I, not a gun person, would not say is blued. Did these have a different 'blueing' process? Looking for info. I have pictures. And this gun is for sale. Have two other rifles, both Krags that are also for sale, if interested.
    Thank you in advance for all advice.
    Toby
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

You obviously have an early 1871 Mauser "Infanterie-Gewehr" rifle. Should be the single-shot.

The barrels were originally browned, the receiver and bolt were left in-the-white, and the smaller parts were fire-blued.

These are selling from $500-$800.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Welcome to THE forum, Toby. Stick around and enjoy the fun. We have as much fun here as if we had good sense. :D

What Krags do you have? Just missed a 30-40 today because I dithered too long.

Pops
  4. Toby

Toby New Member

1st krag:
    #155853, 1896 Type 3 sight, 1896R Handguards, fancy 'P' cartouche with small 'v' above, excellant shape, 98% blued, and deserves to be in the hands of a collector

2nd Krag:
    #461062, 1901 sight, 1901 handguards, 'JLA 1903' cartouche with fance 'P', likewise in excellant shape, 98% blued, and deserves to be in the hands of a collector

I know the collectors on this board don't want to hear the story of these guns because of the 'Why not me' syndrome but understand they landed in my lap and they now need to be in one of yours, that sounds disgusting but please bare with me. I collect Hotwheels, yes the stupid little cars. Not as glorious as the hobby of collecting firearms but I do understand the 'business' side of collecting. I do not have access to vast numbers of firearm collectors. However, I also know that if I sell my guns to a dealer they must figure in a profit margin. I say the hell to the dealer, no offense I know a lot of dealers are also collectors. I want my guns to go directly to a collector. They will appreciate them, they will pay for them, and they will pay more than a dealer which will make both of us happy. Collectors.....please if you are interested in a Mauser Mod I.G. 71, or either of the Krags, get with me. I am not a saleman, I am not a dealer, I am not a collector, I just have a problem selling my guns to the dealers at the Suncoast Gun Show,yes I live in Florida, for half of what everyone on this forum knows they are worth. Let's figure out what 3/4 of their worth is and come to an agreement. Both of us will be happy.
    I hope my candor is not mistaken for arrogance,
    Toby