Mauser, Mosin, and Swiss completed!

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Pistolenschutze, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Well folks, I finally got all three of my Cruffler rifles put back together, with scopes mounted no less. Now all I have to do is bore sight them and then sight them in on the range, a task I plan for this weekend if the weather cooperates and the wind doesn't blow too hard. Some observations so far:

The Mauser 48 I dropped into a new wood stock, fitted a Huber trigger to it, put on an S&K scope mount, and an NcStar 2x7 LER scope (scout setup). It looks GREAT! The barrel and action I used were virtually new, so it should shoot very nicely indeed. Overall, the rifle looks like a far more expensive weapon than it really was to build.

The Mosin-Nagant M44 action I fitted to a new ATI stock and added an S&K scout mount setup along with another NcStar 2x7 LER. I left the bayonet attached mostly because I think it looks kinda neat. After I cleaned the bore carefully I found that the lands and grooves to be in very EXCELLENT condition, which was something of a surprise, I expected more wear. What resulted was a very handy little carbine indeed--light, short, and extremely comfortable to hold, and I hope, to shoot.

The Swiss K-31 amazed me. It was by far the easiest to work on, mainly because the parts fit together so well. I left this rifle military, only refinishing the stock and doing some thouch-up bluing as needed on the barrel and some of the fittings. The stock was dirty and grimy with oil and there were quite a number of dings from field use. The wood, however, was top notch so refinishing it was a joy. The barrel looks almost brand new after I thoroughly cleaned it and the straight pull action works butter smoothly. I might add here that I received a very nice surprise when I took off the butt plate to polish it. Underneath was the tag from the man who was originally issued the rifle. Of course I replaced it in its original position when I reassembled. The only real alteration I made was to add aother S&K scout mount and another NcStar 2x7 LER. I still have the rear sight so it could be remounted easily if I ever want to turn rifle back to full military configuraton.
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Looking forward to the range report.

Got any pics?
  3. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

What'd the tag say, PS? Post pics! Include rifles and the tag!
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Let us knows how this holds up there has been mixed reports on them