Mauser on hold for now... looking into a Mosin... lead-free ammo?

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by toggy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. toggy

toggy New Member

2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I handload Barnes .303 cal TSXs in my 7.62X54Rs. thats just about the onyl real option of you want lead free russian mosin ammo.

I dont use the Tipped TSXs like the ones loaded into that dbl tap ammo in the link. I use the regular TSX flatbase 150 gr .311" They are some potent hog droppers from the ol Sako M39
  3. toggy

toggy New Member

So, aside from the high proce, the ammo online may be a decent option? I just don't want to harm myself or the gun. Certainly not the gun...

I am not a handloader yet. Still working on shooting straight and buying ammo in boxes.
  4. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

From what I was told after my Mosin's bolt got jammed "whack it with a rubber mallet, you cannot hurt that gun" I believe they are right on. No harm with surplus ammo as long as you clean thoroughly and well.
  5. toggy

toggy New Member

Then I think I'll get the lead free 7.62 ammo for hunting.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

just make sure its loaded with the right bullet. Call the mfgr and ask if its got .308 projectiles or the .311 projectiles. You will want the .311s.
  7. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

If you do get a Mosin that is a good choice. But by all means use the surplus for practice. Very cheap and you just need some extra elbow grease when done to clean. Be sure to clean receiver etc also. My bolt got jammed by excess lacquer build up. When the gun got hot and then cooled it "glued" the damn bolt closed. We tried everything at the range and could not get it open. We tried pouring a little solvent down barrel. Even then it was two days later and I had to put gun in vice and whack bolt with rubber mallet and it finally popped open. Someone here told me it was a gun made for peasants and you cannot not hurt it easily so I went for it. LOL