1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Mauser prototypes?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by micromontenegro, Jun 13, 2011.

1. micromontenegro

micromontenegro Member

I've been offered for sale these two pistols, with no details whatsoever about their provenance, etc. What do you think of them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

They appear to be a varients of the Mauser 9mm Nickl (not nickel) Experimental built on a 1912/1914 frame, although the slide grips are of the style found on the Model 1934. If they are indeed Nickl Experimentals, they are from a small batch mfg. in 1916 or so. They definately show their age, but appear to be in good-very good condition. No idea of value.

The Nickl design was later mfg. by CZ as the VZ.22
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Those pistols were the predecessors of the Vz.22 but they are in 9mm Parabellum, not 9mm Browning Short. Although they look like the Mauser pocket pistols, they are actually of a locked breech, turning barrel design, like the Vz.22. My WAG on value is $12,000 for the top one, $20,000 for the lower.

Jim
  4. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Good morning! micromontenegro.What are they being sold for? ..........GOOFY:)
  5. micromontenegro

micromontenegro Member

Hi, and thanks to all. The seller is being very secretive for now, even regarding location, and communication is scant and monosyllabic. Will keep you posted if anything comes up, but I am not enthusiastic about it.
  6. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Looks like it could have been a heck of a pistol for the time period. Larger than most Mausers I have seen. I always felt like they were over shadowed by Luger and Walthers.
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Those guns could have been just the pistol Mauser needed for the future, but the company by that time had become quite conservative, and seemed to think the ancient C-96 was the ideal large caliber pistol. I have never understood that continued support for an outdated design. Perhaps foreign sales, especially to China, of the C-96 were enough to keep them from spending R&D money on future military type guns, but it has always seemed to me to have been against their best interests.

The rotating barrel design is not a bad one; it had been quite successful for Steyr, and is still being used by Beretta to this day. Why Mauser rejected it, I don't know.

Jim
  8. juangomez

juangomez New Member

Hello dear camaradas, some of you make me laugh with ratings and reviews system mechanism, if they saw them on the inside "and die"! Guns are authentic and I would say that very difficult to reproduce the quality of internal finish. Because at that time was very good skilled labor and technically impeccable.

Find out how http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452173
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

juan,
    Bien veniedo a la sitio.
  10. valbehaved

valbehaved Member

Juan:
    They are authentic allright, but your chances of getting them out of Argentina and into US are pretty low....
    I am in full agreement with Jim on pricing, btw...
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Actually, getting guns like that into the US might not be that difficult. BATFE and customs have procedures for rare collector's items and of course they are certainly in the C&R category. It just takes having someone knowledgeable to work both ends, the export from whatever country and the import into the U.S. It might take some time, though.

Jim
  12. juangomez

juangomez New Member

Nobody wrote USA or the U.S.. The world is bigger than the country and private collectors are everywhere in this great planet. And never speak in Argentina either. Greetings John
  13. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, does any one know what the h-e-double l Mr. juangomez is blabbering about:confused:
  14. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Waaay above my pay grade!
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

RJay, I think he means that the guns would not necessarily be sold to an American collector (which Valbehaved rather assumed). There is a world-wide collector market for such unique guns, even in countries with otherwise strict gun laws.

In fact, this is one of the few countries where ordinary citizens can accumulate gun collections; in many places, "gun collector" means very wealthy and influential, the kind of person to whom laws don't always apply.

Jim