1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Mauser-Werke HSc

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by codydog, Oct 4, 2010.

1. codydog

codydog New Member

This does not sound like all the others that have posted. I have to say a pictures is really worth a 1000 words. I do not see serial number unless the 4779 of 5000 is it. So I am very curious to the story and value.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

remake of WW2 pistol. especially with #### 0f 5000.
  3. codydog

codydog New Member

4. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Your postwar HSc has no particular collector value. Unfortunately, Mauser lowered the manufacturing standards on these pistols after the war, and there have been many reports of poor functiioning. At the many gun shows I attend I see them for sale at prices ranging from $250 to $375.
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The main problem was simply that the gun was originally designed for 7.65mm (.32 ACP) and didn't take well to the 9mm Kurz (.380 ACP) needed to meet U.S. import requirements after 1968. That conversion is not always easy, and usually involves more than just drilling a bigger hole in the barrel.

See: http://www.mauserguns.com/gungalleryModelHSC.asp

for more info than I can give here on the HSc.

Jim
  6. denny 714

denny 714 Member

Hello,
    You have what's called an Amerincan Eagle Edition of the Mauser Hsc Pistol (as indicated by the Eagle emblem near the front of the right side of the slide). It is chambered for the 9 m/m short or 380 acp. It is a limited edition piece there will be only 5000 of these ever made. I have never seen one of these American Eagle Hsc's go for less than $1000.00
    Hope that was a help.

Denny
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Denny, you must be confusing this Mauser with a Walther or some other gun. Here are the values right out of the current Blue Book:

HSc Post-WWII Mfg. One of Five Thousand Edition
    - American Eagle edition (marked on gun), 5,000 total mfg. (serial numbered 1-5000).

Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
    $450 $400 $350 $300 $240 $210 $180

Considering their reputation, I think they made 5000 too many of these.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  8. codydog

codydog New Member

Guys, thanks for the input. Now that I know what it is, I was able to do some research and found out on some auction sites online the gun has been selling for over $300 averaging about $400 and maxing out at $600. So a pretty narrow range.
  9. denny 714

denny 714 Member

Wonder,
    I am really amazed that this is rated from the blue book at 100% for $450.00. I don't have one (a blue book) but on gun auctions I have never seen American Eagle Hsc's for less than a grand, go figure...But I have noticed on those same auctions that a war time Hsc without any relivant markings are $375.00 to $425.00...The eagle over the M on the front grip strap is $1300.00. But for the most part wwII pistols (Hsc) are cheap...........I would have thought Mauser-werke is a very good manufacturer of guns.

Thanks for the Info - Wonder

Denny
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  10. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Collector values are not really tied to the general quality of a manufacturer's products, though that is one factor. Besides, Mauser's pistols never were as solid, well designed and durable as their bolt rifles.

Auction prices are one indication of general value, but all that is needed to jump prices is two people with money competing for the same item. In spite of the limited production, the value on those x of 5000 guns is not that high, partly because they have no historical value and not a lot of collector interest. Obviously, some folks will pay over a grand, but I think one priced that at a gun show would sit a while.

Jim