Mauser

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Royal, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Royal

Royal New Member

I found this in the basement of my house after we moved in. Had a bayonet, ammo pouch, cleaning kit, and a leather sling. I'm know it was never used in combat, the stock is too new looking. I've cleaned all the packing grease that was in it and fired it a couple times. Just wondering how much it might be worth. I can get a few more pics if needed. (camera makes the gun look kind of bent)

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

Looks like you have yourself a German or Yugoslavian Mauser 98K. Do the numbers on the bolt match the numbers on the receiver? Most of them don't but there can be the occasional few that do. Is there any importation markings on it.
    More pictures of any marking would be helpful to get a accurate value.
  3. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

How come i can't view picture?
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice K98 what are the marking and crest? Check the barrel for an import mark just back of the front sight
  5. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

My bet is that is says "Mitchell Arms" stamped in it some where... These supposedly "found" in a cave or some such thing ......Most of them have had some level of cosmetic restoration done, for storage damage/issues. They have been on the market for some years, maybe 10 years. Mauser collecters don't recognize them as 98's because they are actually Yugo's being passed of as German. They are fine as shooters though. I have a family member who bought two, and I have shot them. For what they are, they proformed well enough. I think you can buy one today from Mitchell for around $450 or so. Just not a collector rifle, nor a WWII rifle either as they were made after the war.
    Regards, Kirk
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Beth, me thinks your computer is mad at you.
  7. Teejay9

Teejay9 New Member

Southwest Corner of the US, "Where no stinking fen
    Is the bolt "shiny," or is that just a lighting thing in the picture? TJ
  8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

That's one hell of a find!!! How come I'm never that lucky!!! It definitely looks like a '98 restoration job. Probably worth about $400 with all the goodies included.

Keep it and shoot it, Surplus 8mm Mauser ammo is still plentiful. :)
  9. joewayne

joewayne New Member

It looks much like my K98 I bought from Mitchell`s Mausers.
    Right now they are selling them foe $299.00.
  10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

That looks like a Yugo K98k. All the German K98s I've seen have a bolt handle that has more of a bend to it, requiring a cut-out in the stock to allow for clearence. But that is still one damn fine looking Mauser you have there. I'd cheerfully give away certain parts of my anatomy to be lucky enough to find something like that when I move into a new house:eek: If the bore is as good as the rest of it, you should have a tack driver.

*sigh* I miss my old German K98k:(:(:(
  11. Popeye

Popeye New Member

Its not a K98k. It has an intermediate length action. Probably a Yogo 24/47.
  12. Suicide*Ride

Suicide*Ride New Member

Doesn't matter what it is...... it was FREE!!! :D

Nice find Royal! Did you go out & buy a lottery ticket the same day? :p Either way, looks like you now have a reason to go shooting..... ;)

(I'll bet that's the story he told his SO: "Honest honey, it was just sitting there next to that old trunk". :rolleyes:)

Welcome to TFF. :)

SR
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree with a couple of others - Mitchell Mauser. He uses teak for his gunstocks, and that's what that one looks like.
  14. TRAP55

TRAP55 New Member

That's my bet too, post some pics of the receiver ring stamps.
  15. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Possibly a Yugo M48, although the original stocks on those don't look like that. Popeye is right - it is not a K.98k.

Jim
  16. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

You're right. I couldn't remember the actual Yugo designation:eek:
  17. IROCZ

IROCZ New Member

It's a Yugo M48, or a 48A if the trigger gaurd is stamped instead of milled. May not be a refurb. I have one in my safe right now that looks as good, bought it brand new about 8 years ago. Very good rifle, most ammo is corrosive, be careful. Clean it with a hot water rinse down the bore first. Use a funnel to keep water off the rest of it. Ballistol works well as a solvent. Great find you lucky dog, paid $200 for mine.