Mauser ????

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Randy A, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Randy A

Randy A New Member

I just picked this up Friday, it's in great shape, still cosmoline on parts of it and not really any nics, dings or scratches,,,, but I don't know what it's for for sure. Mauser I suspect, but I've never really taken interest in them.
    Milled buttplate, tang wraps over top of butt. Straight grip and has two cross bolts, full length stock with no finger grooves. Upper hand guard has cutout for rear sight and a groove cut in the handguard from the action ring to the rear sight (line of sight groove). Upper sling band looks like a Springfield 03 band, milled with groove machined around it. I'll try to attach pictures. Any ideas?

[​IMG]
  2. 22shot

22shot New Member

Randy A

Based on what there is; I don't think that stock is a Mauser; no barrel band release; handguard seems too long; don't know what it is!
  3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Looks like a stock for an 1893 Mauser to me. I'm not sure what vintage or variation had two throughbolts though. :confused:
  4. RJay

RJay Active Member

Or perhaps a 95 Chilean.
  5. 22shot

22shot New Member

Randy A

I followed up on this post just to see what you had.

Rjay and Snakedriver posted that it was a Mauser; so I hit the books again to see what I missed.

The Gun Parts Corporation; issue#21; p.495 has a drawing of your stock (the complete gun); long handguard (cut out for the rear sight); no band release clip; and no "through bolts": just a straight wood stock. The butplate "tang" wraps over the stock.

Listed by it: Mauser 1893 & 1895; Chilean M-95: Turkish 95; Brazilian 94; Spanish 1916 (.308). And Mauser 93 model S. Those guys were busy!
    So Rjay and Snakedriver are on the right track; I was a little hasty in my post.

Are the two spots on your stock throughbolts or discolorations?
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  6. Randy A

Randy A New Member

Thanks, there are metal tangs a couple inches long on the bottom of the stock that hold both the upper barrel band/ bayonet lug and the upper sling swivel/ band on. I haven't figured out how they come off yet.
  7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I have an old 1916 Spanish Mauser that started its life as a Model 93 and you can see what it looks like with the gun parts installed in the stock.

The forward band with the bayonet lug is retained by a clip behind the band that you press in on to release the band. Same goes for the one that retains the handguard piece, just press in on the metal clip.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  8. Randy A

Randy A New Member

Niiiiice, did you finish the stock, if so what did you use? I thought of just selling this one as-is, but finished like might get someone excited. I don't own any of these rifles.
    Thanks for the info.
  9. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

That's pretty much how it came to me in 1967 when I bought it out of the Montgomery Ward's catalog. I keep it oiled with Old English walnut furniture oil though.

If you want your old stock to look really great, sand it lightly with some fine sandpaper and apply some Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish. They sell it at Bass Pro, Cabelas and most other gun stores. A bottle is about $4. Mix it with a little Tung Oil using 75% Birchwood Casey's and 25% Tung Oil then had rub several coats into the stock. Use some 0000 steel wool to rub down the stock between coats. Let dry 24 hours between coats and after 3 or 4 coats, the thing should start to look real nice. :cool:
  10. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Randy, Sankedriver..that sure is NICE looking. And to get it that way, from way back...really nice.