maverick 88 is it any good?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by new sks 2005, Apr 13, 2006.

1. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I built the whole thing for about $400
  2. Green

Green New Member

Great job, but a little pricey? :eek:
  3. Divine Decree

Divine Decree New Member

I've had mine since i was 14 they are amazing guns. i've put 3in magnum slugs through it no problem. even without rifle sites you can still just point, shoot, and hit central mass at where you were aiming. nice nice gun.
  4. southernshooter

Green you can make it cheaper leave of the laser/light combo save yourself about $100.00
  5. Green

Green New Member

Southernshooter, How does it handle with high brass and mags with the stock? I tried mags when I first got mine. Dam'd near broke my wrist. I am not a small guy. My thumb on up swelled up. A tear?perhaps. I keep mine loaded with low brass. :eek:
  6. southernshooter

Green I think of it like this "If it hurts me that bad I know it hurt the other guy :) " but seriously it kicks like a mule on steriods. My only complaint is when the stock is folded out it is a bit tricky using the front pistol grip but I very seldom use the stock folded out.
  7. Green

Green New Member

Well, one of these days maybe i'll pick up one of those front grips. Thanks for the info Southern.
  8. danurve

danurve New Member

I've owned an 88 smoothbore for about 15 years now. If memory servs I paid about a buck-sixty for it. Ugmo takes not only 500 barrels but that means accu-chokes & winchoke (thread) fits. The weaver convert-a-mount also fits.
    I've put alot of miles on this gun. It ain't purty but it still works, and patiently awaits next season. Yes that's the hunting side of it, but considering the use and weather it's seen I'd say yeah - they're good.
  9. southernshooter

Not a problem Green.
  10. SCShooter

SCShooter New Member

Do you know what parts you would need to put on the forend pistol grip on the Maverick 88?
  11. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    My main gun is a Maverick 88. I also have a 870 and a 500 and a 590. And I still REALLY like the 88. Was my first pump shotgun. 5+1 can't be beat for home defense or SHTF.
    If they ever come for my guns they will find the rest before my 88.

The difference bwtween the 88 and 500 is that 4 parts are made in mexico and the it's a t bolt safety. Still a great shotgun.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

mav 88 aint nuttn but a mossberg 500..
  13. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

I have a Maverick 88 6 round security model with the 18'' barrel and have 5000+ rounds through mine without as much as a hiccup out of it. I picked mine up for $165.00 5 years ago and I love it, I would trust my life with it. It was made by Mossberg in Eagle Pass Texas with foreign parts mostly from Mexico, most parts will interchange with the Mossberg 500 but the trigger assembly I believe.
  14. streetbob

streetbob Active Member

Here is mine with the 5 round shell holder and paracord sling.

Attached Files: