Maverick 88 shotgun

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by big steve, Jul 21, 2010.

1. big steve

big steve New Member

I saw a nice Maverick 88 security model shotgun with the shorter barrel and it has two different stocks and it seems real nice for $230 what do you guys think about this shotgun??

Thanks, Steve
  2. The Rebel

The Rebel New Member

I was reading a "Post" from a fellow who has a (Mossberg) Maverick 88 Shotgun. He may be able to shed some light on the subject. Check with Hydra Shok and see what his experiences have been with the Maverick 88.
    I have a Mossberg 590 & older Mossberg 500A from the 1970's and really like them.
    Hope This Helps ~ :)
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i've owned a maverick 88 and had no problem. some mossberg parts will work on it. 230 is too much unless you really value the extra stocks. the one i had was more like 150 with a synthetic stock. it was in excellent condition with a 26 inch barrel.

i've seen used remington 870's for 200-250 range in good shape.
  4. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    The Maverick 88 is a good shotgun, I have one. It's basically a "no frills" Mossberg 500, but there are some differences.

The 88's safety is on the triggerguard and only locks the trigger, the 500's is on the tang and locks the trigger and hammer.

The 88's action bars are molded into the forearm and are not removeable from it. The 500's action bars are an assembly that uses a locknut to secure it to the forearm and are removeable for changing forearms. Cheer up though, all you need is the action bar assembly and locknut from a Mossy 500to change the forearm on a Maverick. (Butts are interchangable)

And the trigger assemblies and receiver covers will not interchange because of the safeties - unless you also swap safety systems.

Hope this helps.
  5. big steve

big steve New Member

Thanks everyone that helps.