The Firearms Forum banner

Maximum headspace problem

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  karlrudin 
#1 ·
Went shooting with reloads I made. All rounds in 20 had resistance closing and opening bolt. All ammo fired fine with no signs of problems ie pressure. Came home, cleaned cases, brush cleaned necks, sized with Forster Neck die. Checked all the lengths which were all under trim length. Dropped them into a Wilson case headspace gauge, all were flush with Maximum level. Went back, set up Forster Full length die according to instructions. Die touches the shell plate, I have a COAX press, plus 1/8 of a turn on die to take out lash in the press. Actually feels like a cam over,and resized the cases. Not one bit of difference in ANY of the cases after dropping them back into the case headspace gauge. With the lash taken out of the die/press already, I can't think of why the cases didn't bump the shoulder/datum point for headspacing back. I've already chatted with a tech at Brownells site and he suggested turning the die down to half a turn more which I don't see helping. Waiting on a response from Forster. Any ideas from here would be appreciated. This is a head scratcher for me.

#4 ·
Use your Shilen barrel chamber for your "go guage". This is most likely a shoulder problem. I would guess and this is a guess, it is your shoulder that needs to be set back.
Put some blueing on the shoulder and chamber the round, extract the round and look at the shoulder to see what the blueing looks like. It's worth a try before you go nuts.

#5 ·
Back again kar, It could be that when you chamber the round you are pushing the bullet back into the case a bit. Put blueing on the bullet too and take a look at it when you dechamber it. How is your over all length? Just trying to think of all posibilities.

#6 ·
Use your Shilen barrel chamber for your "go guage". This is most likely a shoulder problem. I would guess and this is a guess, it is your shoulder that needs to be set back.
Put some blueing on the shoulder and chamber the round, extract the round and look at the shoulder to see what the blueing looks like. It's worth a try before you go nuts.
This has just recently happened. This is not an initial setup. 1st, I used an actual Fortster Go gauge, when I installed the barrel, to set the head space on my chamber +.003 shim.That's how I know what my head space is. The beauty of having a Savage. I definitely agree that it is a shoulder issue. That's why I don't understand why my Full length sizing die is not correcting the problem. Also, since I have already checked what my overall cartridge length is suppose to be, and I keep my bullets ogive no closer the .0010 off the lands, I know its not long bullets. Even if one got by me, the case shouldn't have been hard to extract after firing. Since there was no sign of over-pressure during firing or examining the cases. This is why this is driving me nuts. My thought was that the Full length die is not setting the shoulder back far enough to the specs of my tight head space. Also, since I keep logs on my brass, these cases were Full length sized and trimmed to length from new then fired. Plus have been reloaded and fired 4 times only being Neck sized and not needed to be trimmed since I broke the cases in from new. They average 6-7thousands smaller than maximum trim length. AND THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT. You see now why I'm scratching my head.

#7 ·
At the risk of asking a dumb question - have you cleaned the chamber? I find on my .223 that I have to use a 9mm brush to clean the chamber. I also resize for a very tight head space (.000 -.003") and it takes vary little powder residue to cause a hard bolt over.

#9 ·
At the risk of asking a dumb question - have you cleaned the chamber? I find on my .223 that I have to use a 9mm brush to clean the chamber. I also resize for a very tight head space (.000 -.003") and it takes vary little powder residue to cause a hard bolt over.
The problem with the tight cases only happen with this box of reloads. The next 3 boxes didn't give me any problem. So don't think it was that. That was a brave question not dumb. "ONLY DUMB QUESTION IS THE ONE YOU DON'T ASK." Most people take offense as to the cleanliness of their weapons.:) AND NO I DIDN'T TAKE OFFENSE. My guns are always ARMY clean :) Good thought though. I'm thinking more a problem with the die.

#10 ·
I'm stumped. Have you tried factory or other 7-08 ammo?
When I said factory, I meant brass not ammo sorry. But yes I have used other brass manufactures. Like I told steve32k, this box of reloads were the ones that gave me a problem, because the next 3 boxes I shot were no problem at all, and I was case fireforming the last 3. No problems in or out of the action. My thought is that the die is not sizing enough. And with the dies set correctly, I don't know. That's why I dropped Forster an email also.

#11 ·
The techs have reviewed your email and would suggest you turn the full length sizing die past the shell holder to push the shoulder back.
If this does not work, please send in the full length sizing die with fired (not sized) brass and we will certainly be glad to check it for you.
Thank you,

This was the response I got from Forster this evening. I guess they mean touch the shell holder and turn the past it. Wellllll, I already did that according to the directions(1/8 to 1/4 turn past touching) so I guess they will be getting the die and a case to see what they can figure out lol. TRUELY, THANKS YALL FOR RACKING YALL'S BRAINS WITH ME.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.