1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

may finally get to shoot bp Sunday

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Rooster Cogburn, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Rooster Cogburn

Rooster Cogburn New Member

I have had 2 Pietta 1851 bp revolvers since around Christmas and have had nowhere to shoot them. My neighbors friends have their own range a couple towns over and told me that unless something changes, we are going shooting this Sunday :) I bought 2, one with the starter kit and one without because I really don't plan on shooting them too much (I've heard the brass frames don't hold up after alot of use). If all goes well, pics will be forthcoming.

I have posted this picture before, but for those that haven't seen them, here they are. The display will be finished after I fire them and clean them
    [​IMG]
  2. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

I've heard all the brass frame "is no good, will wear out, will stretch, etc., etc."
    I will grant you that quality may vary, however all things being equal, brass is just fine, at least in my opinion. It took me nearly 10 years to wear out a brass navy. Considering lots of shooting, even more abuse, I think that is pretty good service life.
    Go shoot, have fun.
  3. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Just don't go crazy with loading them, and keep in mind they will be generally more accurate with LESSER charges than max, and they will last you a LONG time.

My son's CVA brass frame Navy is still going strong. Now we HAVEN'T shot it all that much, recently, especially since he has been away for so long since he left for college, but when we did we generally loaded it with 15 grains of FFFg black powder which we pretty much got by reading recommended loads in a Dixie catalog and it handled them without a bobble, and still would.
  4. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Rooster, scrying in my cup of firewater, I predict that you will enjoy the heck out of it!