May have found a rifle for my plinking...

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 1shot1k, Apr 1, 2009.

1. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

Hi friends...a message from poor house man....

I visited a local Pawn shop today..where I always go and talk..always some old coots in there on stools...I have been mentioning I would like to get a 22 to do some 100 yd plinkin and good shootin at range and save on my costs of shootin so much .45....40 and 25-06...

Well , they had a new in box Marlin ...model was a 795SS stainless , 10 shot 22lr...nice black poly and looked very nice and was new. They want $ 140.00 and after lookin tonight on web..that seems to be a fair price.

He also showed me a scope he had set back..to go with this gun when he sells it...was a " Tapco"...3x9 20 with variablre parallax in yds and ft....had dvetail rings with it...want ed $ 20.00...looke like a good rig set up...as I was first wanting 22 mag..thinking I needed the mag for 100yd consistency...but seems 22lr will be fine...

If I dont have quite enough this Saturday..they will layaway...and at least will be held off shelve...

I know Im eager to start 22...dont want to go to fast on my budget..but still...is new..cant find anything wrong....and believe rifle and scope is good bargain for what I want...

Asking for opinions based on what Ive said...and also...do you think I will have trouble getting another 10 shot magazine for the MArlin without having to order it...?

Thanks...

[​IMG]:p:cool:

[​IMG]
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

seems like a good deal. i dont know about the scope though, i've never had any experiance with tapco. might check walmart for extra mags.
  3. artabr

artabr New Member

Congrats on the rifle. I think you made a wise choice ditching the .22 magnum for the .22lr. You'll get a LOT more bang for your bullet bucks.

I think you'll be able to find mags at Cheaper than Dirt or Cabela's.

Art
  4. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

thanx to yall both...10-4 on cheaper thndirt for mags.......also starting to appear to my studying all 22lr ammo not created equal..will visit 22 forum and get advice on best consistent brand for 100yd shooting......:p:cool:
  5. errolc

errolc New Member

I think you'll find the scopes a Tasco
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    1shot1k, you will be glad you got the .22LR. The Mag will shoot flater at 100yds than the LR, but the LR will do the job. Don't know about the scope, $20 seems mighty cheap! Marlin makes great guns, I know you will be happy with it. Post some pics of targets when you can. I have never shot the .22 at 100yds, but will ASAP!
  7. 94z07

94z07 New Member

One thing to consider with used marlins is how the PO cleaned them. IMHO they only need the occasional swipe with a tiny cloth patch with 3-n-1 or similar. If they've been brushed too much it can lessen the effectiveness of the micro groving that makes Marlin .22's so neat.
  8. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

Thanx carver and all others too !...no...rifle is still NEW , in box, with new lock cord sold with new ones........but is in a pawn shop....and evidently not hot ..cause they do run em...

As to scope guys...I hear you every word....has been long time since puttin few monkeys down in bush with Rem 700...but fully understand concerns...

Was only thinkin of gettin this to start as...it is USED..and obviously MADE for 22 use...

they just have $ 21.00 on it....is very long though..and will tell you, optics look good when I took it out to parkin lot.....didnt write model down...wish I had...cause when I came home and checked "Tapco" site....no mention of it...

but from memory...Tapco...3x9 20......appears the parralax adjustable ,cause at leadind end of scope...is fully adjustable , marked in foot and yard markings....15 ft to 300 + yds.....windage and elevation has numeric markings for repeat adjustment to....this scope was not or would not be $ 21.00 new I feel for sure......but I feel lucky,considering optic quality I saw outside...and does happen to come with bevel attach rings...scope also...is not a 1 inch kind..more like the 33 mil I believe...has good sun shield on front....

If this doesnt work out.. I will get a better scope for sure ......

tonight is Friday evenin...will go saturday and try to get all or at least secure layaway...

pics and report for sure...thanx to all...

regards,

1shot
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

1shot1k.... howdy... i got a used simmons 4x32 22mag series rifle scope... great shape 2 from ebay... for about 15 dollars shipped... you can get cheaper that 21 i think.
  10. Steve1002

Steve1002 New Member

I currently have three different variations of the Marlin semi 22, a Marlin Model 60, a Revelation 120 (Marlin 99), and a Glenfield 60 (Marlin 60). Kind of funny actually, when I was checking some of the local pawn shops for older non-collectible 22s, one of the pawn shop owners referred to the Marlin 60 as the "Jam-A-Matic". He was right. Although, when using the better ammo it doesn't jam as often, it still jams often enough that I will never buy another one. That's okay, I'm getting where I prefer bolt-action anyway.
  11. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

That's funny, my M60 Glenfield is a Jam-A-Matic too. I bought a 39A to replace it....
  12. okeeemt

okeeemt New Member

i have a model 60 glenfield. And it never jams on me at all.
  13. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

Excellent price, the gun sells for new for about 215.00 dollarsKeep in mind a scope for 20 bucks is just that, but I will bet U will have a ball! Enjoy! :D
  14. big steve

big steve New Member

sounds like a good deal and i dont think you will have to much trouble with the finding another mag
  15. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

For all those interested, the Marlin 795 has a $25 rebate on their website for new purchases made from 1/1/2010 to 12/31/2010.

Dick's Sporting Goods & Academy Sports are both selling 'em for $129 (Manufacturer'sSuggestedRetailPrice) OR LESS (depending on current sales)

10-round Mags are available thru cheaperthandirt.com for around $14 each.

We ARE working on getting some Hi-Capacity mags made at certain Hi-Cap magazine manufacturer's, so send an email to your favorite MFR...you might get a surprise soon :D