May have saved some $

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by army mp, Feb 12, 2010.

1. army mp

army mp Member

I have a first Generation Glock 22. As many know. Un-supported Barrel and Brass is ruined. Only option was an after market barrel. Well Mid-way to the rescue. Redding G-RX base Sizing Die, the Kit is $35.49. The claim is that it reforms the base. I think it’s worth a shot. Cheaper than a new Barrel. I am going to put the order in tonight. I will let you know if it’s a winner.
  2. army mp

army mp Member

Well I spoke to soon. The G-RX Die listed in the new Mid-Way catalog for $35.49. If you go to Mid-Ways sight. Its now $69.99 and it also says (COMING SOON.) I will call them Monday for all the good it will do.. I knew there was a reason I stopped ordering from. Larry P
  3. firewalker

firewalker New Member

LEE has a bulge buster, you could give that a try
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

or you could go the www.cheaperthandirt.com and get a lone wolf replacement barrel for like 100 bucks and be done with the problem entirely...
  5. ckelley

ckelley Member

I ordered the Redding G-Rx Die from Midsouth for about $36. I does a great job at removing the glock bulge from the brass. I just double checked the price at Midsouth and they now have it for $29.51, but I also noticed Redding is now making a carbide G-Rx die which is $58.66 at Midsouth. Also checked Midway, the $69.99 die you saw was the carbide one, they also offer the original one for $36.99. Had I known that a carbide die was coming out I would have held off with the steel one and ordered the carbine one. Right now with the steel one, I lube the cases before sizing them with the G-Rx die, then retumble them for about 20 minutes before I run the cases through the normal sizing die.

Colin
  6. gandog56

gandog56 Member

I got the Redding die, also. I use it for .40 S&W, 10mm and 357 SIG!
  7. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

I use Redding dies for 9mm. (I don't think its the G-Rx die...) I have shot and reloaded a bunch for my G17 (factory barrel) and have never noticed any problem with case bulge. They all re-sized back to specs. I shoot the same ammo in 3 different 9mms with zero problems. Maybe its more of an issue with the other calibers, I don't know.
  8. IROCZ

IROCZ New Member

I have loaded more than a few thousand rounds for my Glock 22 and 2 Glock 23's. I use a Dillon 550 with Dillon carbide dies. How did I miss this problem???
  9. army mp

army mp Member

The bulged brass problem is more of a problem with earlier Generation Glock 40 S&W. I have done a lot of reading on this. I own a Glock 22. As I know half what you read on-line is BS. And you have to sift threw it. Fact the Glock 22 = 40S&W Bulges Brass.. As most Bullet casters know no two barrels in a specific caliber/model / Manufacturer are the same. Thus you must Slug the Barrel. Now for the speculation. The reasoning I read as to why some have a problem with The Glock Bulge and others do not. It seems if you use Dillon or Lee Dies. You will not have a problem most of the time. The guy said Dillion and Lee Dies are not Ground to the tight tolerances as some of the others. Thus the shaved Brass. This may not be right but sounds to be. So you may or may not have this problem. I do with my Lyman Dies. So I ordered the G-RX Die