Mayor says Iraq causes Philly gun violence

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by satellite66, Jan 19, 2007.

1. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

He is a genius. Everyone knows that Philly had no violence prior to the Iraq war. It must be Bush's fault.

Blame Philly gun violence partly on Iraq, mayor says

By MARK McDONALD
    mcdonam@phillynews.com 215-854-2646

Mayor Street said yesterday that the Iraq war is a contributing factor in the frustrating increase in gun violence and homicides on the streets of the city.

Speaking to the Daily News editorial board, Street said the daily dose of violence streaming back in news reports from the Iraqi battlefields has changed attitudes in the city.

"I believe the fact that we are a country at war has something to do with the attitude of people in the streets. Let me tell you, it's not just this city. I have seen it everywhere and I've talked to people a lot about it," Street said.

"We are a country that is becoming less and less civil. We are a place where people will pull out a gun and shoot it at the drop of a hat," he said.

He recalled the shock 10 or more years ago when reports began to surface of youths brutally beating another child over a pair of sneakers. Today, he said, adults draw guns and fight over seats in a restaurant, over parking spots and over highway indignities.

"I am stunned at the kind of social interaction that leads to the use of a weapon," he said.

Street said an administration goal this year is to train 1,000 clergy members in conflict-resolution techniques and then get them talking with young people on the streets, in churches and in schools.

Link
  2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

always looking for something to blame their mistakes on
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

No Comment.

Don't want to be banned!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:( :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Hmmm....musta been pretty bad? :D

mike
    gn
  5. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Blame Philly gun violence partly on Iraq, mayor says

By MARK McDONALD
    mcdonam@phillynews.com 215-854-2646

Mayor Street said yesterday that the Iraq war is a contributing factor in the frustrating increase in gun violence and homicides on the streets of the city.

Restaurant Buffet causes obesity.

Pencils cause spelling mistakes.

All this from the City of brotherly Love :D
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

They are good at blaming it on everybody but themselves
  7. White Hawk

White Hawk New Member

I was just in Philly (again) this past Sunday. I'm betting the residents there watch a lot more hip-hop/rap videos and movies that make gun violence look glamorous than they do news coverage, which makes soldiers fighting terrorism look depressing.

Speaking of bets, any takers on the political affiliation of this mayor?
  8. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Probably the kind that our very own "Huck Finn" would vote for ?!!!! :mad:
    Probably so... :mad: :mad:

mike
    gn
  9. hoser1

hoser1 New Member

I have only been there once for a week and love the sandwiches!! I mailed my Buck knife and fly rods to the sweetie I was visiting before hand and made sure she had my knife at the airport. I'm nekkid without it.
  10. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

This guy really got elected? Humm, makes me wonder about the liberal coast lines.
  11. Ursus

Ursus New Member

I agree with the Mayor. And must add that the war in Irak is also the reason for that snow in L.A.
  12. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

:D Now Ursus, is all of this American cynicism rubbing off on you? :D
    Surely everyone knows the snow in LA is because of Global Warming :D
  13. Ursus

Ursus New Member

No, Global Warning is when you see liberals taking over around the world. (Or was it warming? Excuse my poor English);)
  14. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

No, I'd never vote for a guy that thinks religion will do any good. He's a deluded moron. Here's his plan to cut down on the violence...

"Street said an administration goal this year is to train 1,000 clergy members in conflict-resolution techniques and then get them talking with young people on the streets, in churches and in schools."

This idiot will probably blame 9-11 on Iraq too!
  15. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

I don't know that sure sounds like a liberal thing to do. Talk. Isn't that what the current crop of dems want us to do with Iran and everyone else that is out to harm us?
  16. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

So.... just what is your plan for ending gun violence in Philly?
  17. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

My plan would involve eliminating liberal dems holding office for starters. Sadly the cure will not be instant. It will take time to get all the liberal judges and ACLU types out of the system which allows criminals to get by so easily. I would undo the nonsense the liberals have done which makes it impossible for law abiding citizens to own firearms and to defend themselves and their property without fear from the previously mentioned liberal judges and ACLU types. That would at least be a start.

Huck I have to ask. Do you think this wingnut mayor is right?
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  18. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

First to answer your question, NO, I do not agree with anything this idiot has said. As for your plan, it sounds like a Monarchy is just what you need, or a dictatorship might fit your bill just fine!
  19. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

Following the constitution is a monarchy? So your for coddling criminals and disarming citizens? That to you is democracy?
  20. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Let's see, getting rid of politicians & judges & citizen organizations that disagree with you. Yup, it's either a Monarchy or Dictatorship.