Media Conservatively Biased?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carl S, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Carl S

Carl S New Member

MoveOn.org is accusing the media of conservative bias. They base this on an analysis by the liberal "media watchdog," Media Matters for America. This totally skewed "analysis” was done of the Sunday morning political shows. They claim that, since more conservatives than liberals were invited onto the shows they studied within a certain time frame, the whole mainstream media has a conservative bias! Yeah, and the Pope is Islamic.

I know this will come as a shock to you all; but MIT published a study this week done by UCLA which shows that all of the mainstream media outlets actually are biased - in favor of liberals. This study measures media bias by estimating ideological scores for several major media outlets. To compute this, they count the times that a particular media outlet cites various think tanks and policy groups, and then compare this with the times that members of Congress cite the same groups. The study's results show a strong liberal bias: all of the news outlets they examine, except Fox News' Special Report and the Washington Times, received scores to the left of the average member of Congress. CBS Evening News and the New York Times received scores far to the left of center. The most centrist media outlets were PBS NewsHour, CNN's Newsnight, and ABC's Good Morning America. Looking at the print outlets, USA Today was closest to the center. All of the study's findings refer strictly to news content; that is, the researchers exclude editorials, letters, and the like.
  2. muley

muley New Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    Wait...Another study of something that is already a known fact. :rolleyes: Why don't they study something that needs to be studied? Like how can Ted's liver stay afloat in all that alcohol? :D :D
    muley
  3. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

:D How about a study on how Bill Clinton avoids (or doesn't) VD? :D
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

This is a joke????????? Right!!!!
  5. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

I can't believe you guys don't believe this. Just look at all the positive press that Cheney has gotten for the last week. All the nice things the press says about Bush and Condi. What a crock. It just proves once again that the left is losing it. They are becoming more derranged.
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

It's a laugh, we all know.

The horror of it is that their dumb, stupid followers will follow suit as requested and actually write the media screaming this line......
  7. user_error

user_error New Member

The mega-popularity of talk radio, and especially Rush for decades, when contrasted with the failure of Air America, leaves little to doubt. As rush says: "Some say I need to be balanced with equal time. Not so! I AM equal time..."
  8. Don't forget O'Reilly as well. He tells it like it is and shows both sides, as does Rush. The reason the liberals hate them so much is that they do tell it like it is, and back it up with verifiable facts instead of innuendo and opinion.
  9. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

So Carl, lets see if I have this correct. UCLA said that the media is bias to the left, image that, so to debunk that 'theory' Media Matters does there own survey?

Two liberal groups doing the same research?

I have this buddy that is pretty liberal and likes to bash fox news, stating O' Rielly mostly and his favorite video "outfoxxed". I just can't get it through his head that Bill does opinion backed with facts. :rolleyes: I don't get it.

But in the same breath, he knows that we have numerous weapons and is fine with that fact. When I ask him how can he vote for almost any Dem and be OK with the fact that I have weapons. "well ummmm" is about all I get from that question.

I'll support almost anyone that supports the Bill of Rights, not just there word but let there voting record speak for them.
  10. Carl S

Carl S New Member

That about sums it up. Except that, obviously, the Media Matters survey was a sham designed to produce a specific result where the UCLA study appears to be a valid study designed to answer a question and not skew the outcome.

I understand it perfectly. Liberalism is not based on facts and logic. Liberalism is based on emotion and feelings. Facts have nothing to do with the liberal mindset. As I stated in another thread, liberalism cannot be argued logically based on the constitution. It can only be argued on the basis of how someone perceives things ought to be. Facts and truth are irrelevant to a liberal.

Ditto. Party does not matter to me. Philosphy and voting records are the key.
  11. user_error

user_error New Member

Sure, I do watch old Irish Fury every now and then, but one problem I have with the idea of "telling it like it is" is that everybody speaks from a point of view. I'd have no problem with the Rathers of the world if they simply admitted their points of view and political ideology, instead of claiming to be "above" the teeming masses of ignorance they deign to inform. O'Reilly does have the problem on occasion of calling himself a straight shooter who isn't beholden to the interests of the conservative right or lib left, which I disagree with. No one speaks from an unbiased POV.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  12. I can't really disagree with you there, User. What you say is true; we all do speak from a point of view. Yet I think it is also true that there exists a difference between propounding a point of view--labeled as such--and outright distortion of facts, or indeed, blatant falsehood. Far too many of the liberal commentators are guilty of the latter, and alas, so are some of the conservative ones, particularly those on the extreme right or left.
  13. user_error

user_error New Member

Yeah, some people will lie for their beliefs, while other people will sniff out the truth no matter what it takes. You know which side is more willing to come down on the intellectually dishonest side of things... Hint: Rathergate & CNN. Koran abuse from Newsweek. Cheney's certain indictment from ABC. When was the last nationwide news story, later discredited, in which a Republican is made to look *better* than he should?

That said, I think O'Reilly comes down blindly in the middle. It's too often that he's straddling the fence for it to be the product of complete thought and guiding principle.
  14. firebird

firebird New Member

Perhaps it's the skeptic or just the academic researcher in me (or both), but I think it would be wise when referring published articles and/or studies to COMPLETELY cite them. In other words, please post the cited reference for the articles and studies you referenced. No offense, but I want to read for myself the studies and articles and consequently make and informed decision.

Thanks.

15. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

Perhaps its because you lean left and don't like it when your side is proven to be full of crap? :D :D :D