Medical question concerning peppers...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crpdeth, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I don't watch much TV lately, but you know, we have to consider the unknowns here as well... I was watching YouTube recently where one kid was trying to eat like 10 raw habaneros without stopping. It's the stupid stuff like this that "make the news".

I have heard of people actually, somehow ruining their eardrums during these contests. Not sure how that happens, but I don't think I wanna find out. :eek:

I bet!

Cant wait to try it. :D

Crpdeth
  2. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    The brain reacts to the pain-causing capsaicin by releasing endorphins, the natural chemical that heroin and other opiates mimic. That's also the explanation for why people get "addicted" to running and other hard exercise. It does become a "need" as you put it, and can be legitimately be considered an addiction, though it's to a chemical your brain is producing in reaction, not to the external stimulus itself.

Try going without it for three days and see what happens - warn family members first, though, you may be irrationally grouchy.
  3. Not to worry, Donny. I hear that good beer neutralizes any bad effects of peppers, so it's a win win situation. :D;)
  4. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

I think they tried that on Mythbusters and it did little to calm it, if not, irritated it even more. Whole milk, however, is the best way to calm a burning tongue, it seems. Oh, and wasabi will also cure the burn...if the burn is more intense then the wasabi.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  5. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

LOL, okay, although endorphins are released through the consumption of peppers, it does NOT cause one to become addicted to eating them, such as one will become addicted to a drug such as heroin. The "need" for hotter peppers is nothing more than what has already been expressed here, in the way that your taste buds are accustomed to the heat and you "need" a hotter pepper to feel the heat.

There is no "dependence"... No need to ween yourself off of peppers for three days, or warn your family if you do so. :rolleyes:

:D
  6. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

I know that the Acid Rain “ONLY” has a heat rating of 9. There is a special edition Acid Rain that they added what they call the Hatari pepper to give it a 10.

But if that isn’t hot enough for you, how about this???

[​IMG]

Uncle Big's Killer Hot Sauce
    Uncle Big's is the hottest sauce with the mostest flavour!!
    Remember, you can use it as an additive, but if you want to take a pull straight out of the bottle, don't be surprised if your taste buds tap out on you! All the proof you need is one turn of the cap away.
    Warning: extremely hot
    Ingredients: Hatari, Habanero, Scotch Bonnet, Peri Peri, Piquin, Tepin, Birds Eye, Cayenne Peppers, Natural African Oleoresin, Molasses, Tomatoes, Lemon, Lime and Orange Juice, Vinegar, Garlic, Sea Salt, Onion, Herbs, Spices, and Honey
    Heat: 10 +++++

http://www.unclebigshotsauce.com/ecomm/
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  7. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    Something I have been eating and really like is called El Yucateco. It is hot and has an excellent flavor. I use it on eggs, meats, and just about everywhere I want hot flavor. My wife made breakfast for supper last night and I loaded up my egg with this stuff and covered my hashbrowns with tabasco. Great stuff!!

Attached Files:

8. pawn

pawn New Member

excellent choice flannelman. el yucateco has 3 different kinds- IMHO you have the best version which is supposed to be based on a Mayan recipe...
  9. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

We love hot sauce in our house, some what of a collection going. I stick to Chalua if I am feeling fancy. I but these big like liter-and-half bottles at WalMart for a buck-fifty of this stuff called Chamoy. It's really sweet, not super spicy but you can't beat 1.5L for $1.50.

I'm not a huge super-spicy fan, but I do want spice on everything. Almost everything I make/eat gets slathered in some sort of hot sauce, whether it be pizza, eggs, burgers, SPAM, corned beef hash, soup, etc.

Sweet cherry pepper's are awesome, just bought a big jug of those too.

When I was in Mexico I ate a Habenero, thought I was going to die. They told me it's hotter than a jalepeno so I took a nibble and thought, hey this is no big deal, so took a big bite. That day was when I learned it isn't the pepper that is spicy, its the danged seeds!

I got the GERD though so gotta keep spice somewhat limited these days. Either that or pump myself with tons of heartburn pills.
  10. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    Oh, yeah, I get grouchy if I don't get my hot sauce. Or maybe it's lack of sex - they say that causes the release of endorphins, too. And then there's coffee. It's a lot of time spent, you know, keeping one's self from grouchiness. On the other hand, if I had adequate supplies of coffee, sex and peppers, I wouldn't need much else. And think how I'd lose weight!
  11. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

User, you might consider drinking your peppered up coffee while have sex.
    Just make sure not to spill any :eek::D:rolleyes:
  12. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Point taken. :D

Just don't forget to run a couple or three miles... It fights depression too ya know, and along with the peppers, builds a healthy immune system. :D

Crpdeth