The Firearms Forum banner

medium and long term storage of ammo

6K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  FlashBang 
#1 ·
I am defining medium storage 1-5 years, long term 5plus years. Ok what works and what does not. I was taught in military that cool dry storage is the best, ie never get it wet and not above 72 degrees F.

So how about these sealed tubes for burial?? any good?

What about other methods? Any experience or Ideas.

#27 ·
If you use an airtight container it never hurts to include a packet of silica gel crystals to absorb moisture that may develop with a drop in temperature. They are contained in most of the small dehumidifier packs sold by most sporting goods or firearms supply dealers.
Sounds like a plan - thanks. A lot of my 7.62X54R is in 440rd tins. One has a hole in it (chinese) and somebody that had it before me used solder to seal it. I opened that one first and am firing it up first. I bought some BOXER non corrosive 7,62X54R U think I wil food seal that up first, put silica packet in the food sealer and then put that into a good gasket 30 cal ammo box-for LONG term storage.:D

#28 ·
Whichever method you use, remember....
It's not just the container, it's the location of the container.
Condensation can ruin your ammo.
For those who wish to bury out and about, it is very
hard to avoid condensation from the temperature changes,
and very strict precautions must be adhered to.
One being the depth, kept below freeze table.
Extra desiccant [silica gel, kitty litter, basement dry, etc.]
is a must.
Best results also if you are able to check on it occasionally.
Alas, the best storage environment would be airtight, dry, cool,
and temperature controlled.

#29 ·
Whichever method you use, remember....
It's not just the container, it's the location of the container.
Condensation can ruin your ammo.
For those who wish to bury out and about, it is very
hard to avoid condensation from the temperature changes,
and very strict precautions must be adhered to.
One being the depth, kept below freeze table.
Extra desiccant [silica gel, kitty litter, basement dry, etc.]
is a must.
Best results also if you are able to check on it occasionally.
Alas, the best storage environment would be airtight, dry, cool,
and temperature controlled.
Good point I plan on building a partial underground "storm shelter" not bury anything. And camo the thing. Mormons did that sort of thing in Missouri when Gov Boggs put death sentence on any Mormon "within the boundries of Missouri" back before the civil war. ;)

#30 ·
I have the sense that the gaskets are natural rubber-but then only a chem analysis would tell for sure espcially sense the ammo cans are now coming from all over the world.

I like the concept of the food saver bags INSIDE an ammo can for really long term storage.
i do similar with bulk 45 and 9mm.. i put them in a ziplock , inside an ammo can.

I'll keep an eye on the gaskets. so far havn't noticed and that are disolving.. but will surely look.

did look over my can assortment the other day and noted that i have many types from many places. the plastic ones.. or.. composite i guess.. them are pretty neat.. 2 doors and all.

i like some of the tall ones too..

#32 · (Edited)
I have bulk 7.62x54R in spam cans and in their original wooden crates for long term storage of it. I also have 9mm, 5.56 and 7.62x39 in spam cans as well for long term storage. For calibers that cannot be obtained in spam cans, I use 30mm military ammo cans, I can get as many as I want for $6 a piece at my LGS. I clean the ammo cans out, inspect the rubber gaskets, apply a thin coat of silicon to the seal and put in a handful of diseccant packs as well as oxygen absorbing packs. The silicon provides an airtight seal, the diseccant gets rid of any moisture and the oxygen absorber removes all oxygen from the can. Oxygen is what actually causes condensation to form from temperature changes. I have a location where I store all my mid to long term ammo that has a stable environment and is out of sight. By vacuum sealing the ammo cans in this manner I do not need to worry about changing out the desiccant as once the original moisture content is removed the lack of oxygen stops any further moisture from being present. Has worked well for me for years without any issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.