The Firearms Forum banner

Melting Lead Misinformation

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  richbug 
#1 ·
Just had an interesting converstion at the check out counter at Costco today. Clerk was commenting on the new Cold Heat soldering tool that they were selling and stated that she uses it, but the fumes were cancer causing. Since that was the first time I've heard that melting lead and tin would be a carsenogen, and being familiar with lead's MSDS, I told her that she's wrong and that it does not cause cancer, but lead is toxic if ingested.

She then told me that someone was melting lead in a condo and the police told her it was illegal to melt lead in a residential area. Now I understand that a condo's by-laws may state that melting lead is not permitted in a condo unit, but there are no State law or City ordinances that prohibit melting of lead in any residential area.

Has anyone else encountered misinformation such as this?

#3 ·
I bought a roll of solder at one point that said"the surgeon general of california has determined that lead is carcinogenic", but then again california has determined that bananas are a carcinogen, and bad for you, while homosexuality is good for you....go figure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.