The Firearms Forum banner

Melting lead

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
This afternoon I got bored laying by the pool so I decided to do something about my lot in life. It only got to 80 degrees today, not quite warm enough to swim in the pool but perfect for warming things up around here by melting some lead just in case I might actually need to cast my own bullets. So, I got the pot all heated up and added a bunch of lead sinkers, tarpon jigs, and a bunch of other misc. lead including wheel weights that I have come across. After meltng a load of lead I was skimming the slag off when I noticed that a wheel weight was floating high and dry.WTH? I have always thought that weight meant weight??? As I didnt have a Bessemer furnace I just put that wheel weight in my slag pile. Didnt wheel weights used to be made of lead?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Now that the PC crowd has failed with everything else your wheel weights will be lead free in NY at least. Zinc I believe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.