Memorable Gifts

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Forum' started by Guest, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

dap22
    Senior Chief Moderator II
    (8/22/01 1:36:34 pm)
    | Del All
    ezSupporter
    Memorable Gifts
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Quite some time ago I started a similar topic discussing any gifts from home that were memorable, useful, and or worth recalling.
    In the fall of 1967 my wife had written in a letter discussing how bad Christmas would be that year with me in Vietnam and she and our son living with her parents. She asked if there was anything I'd like for Christmas (her sister had asked her to ask me). A real novelty item came to mind and that was a toilet seat.......yep, those 2, 3, and 4 holers were something else without a toilet seat. So, for Christmas that year I received a beautiful padded toilet seat which I quickly installed in our outhouse. It became the most popular seat in town and one that I'd have a hard time using unless it was about 3 in the morning..............a great memory of a less than great time and place.
    Can you remember any gifts from home that made a difference???????????????

nighthawk
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/22/01 5:13:43 pm)
    | Del Re: Memorable Gifts
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Other than the "Care" packages from home, the only gift I received that made a difference (actually the ONLY one I received anyway) was from a small town in Idaho. Before leving for VN, I had visited my parents who, at that time had a little tavern in Clarks Fork, Id. The night before I left, they threw a party for me. The whole town(maybe 250 people) turned out. It was VERY cool! Anyway, I wound up spending a little time with a young lady there. She was a 1st grade teacher. After about 2 months in country I got a big sheet of paper with "well wishes" and "hurry home" signed by all 17 kids in her class. It hung over my desk for the rest of my tour.
    I lost it somehow through the years. By the time I returned to the world, my parents had moved back down to southern Oregon, so I never made it back up there until just a few years back. Nobody seemed to know what happend to th teacher, and I did not want to bother any of the "kids" so I just left it be. Besides, I could not really recall any of their names.
    It's hell getting old,,memory is second thing to go,,,

Stan H,,nighthawk

LarryJK
    Senior Chief Moderator III
    (8/22/01 8:29:24 pm)
    I recall the homemade cookies and cakes my Mom sent. There was a young lady in Cincinnati that sent me some letters and cards. They were always good to get.

Misterstan
    (8/23/01 9:19:10 am)
    I remember when my Mom sent me four $1 bills for Christmas in 1970.

I carried them with me all the time.

One night in downtown Saigon, I met a lovely young lady who wanted to do some boom boom. The Mamasan gave me a price something like 5000 piasters. (If I remember correctly, the exchange rate was 325 piasters to a dollar).

Without thinking, I pulled out the four $1 bills and the Mamason snatched them out of my hand and took me and the young lady to a nice room upstairs.

I never did thank my Mom for that great memory...

Misterstan

dap22
    (8/23/01 9:50:33 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Memorable Gifts
    Stan.....somehow I don't think Mom had that in mind for you.. but what a memory!

oneknight
    (8/23/01 1:16:49 pm)
    Gee Stan, you sure cleaned up that memory for the board.

It ain't at all the way you told it to me, almost looks like a
    different story.........the only thing I recognized about it
    being the same story was the $4........

Misterstan
    (8/23/01 2:17:35 pm)
    Donna, well, er, I may have left out a few details.....

Do you want me to fill you in on the "boring" details?

I left them out in case my wife or my Mom should happen to be reading the messages on this board. As far as I know, they both think "boom boom" has something to do with shooting a weapon. (LOL)

Misterstan

oneknight
    (8/23/01 2:59:39 pm)
    Whew!!!!......If there was a boring part to that story, I
    must have missed it. lol!

Tac401
    Administrator
    (8/23/01 7:02:34 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    How yoo like dat!
    The Firearms Forum Vietnam Memories Bulletin Board Contact Administrator

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/23/01 11:14:30 pm)
    Great stories!

Dave,
    I bet all your friends there thank you for sharing your
    gift of luxury with them, and maybe they're still talkin' about it!

MisterStan,
    $ 4 bucks goes a long way? Around the world, even??

<Gosh..hope he'll write that up and send via email!>

Sharon

dap22
    (8/24/01 9:34:11 am)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    Funny thing, Sharon, the toilet seat was mentioned during our reunion back in June of this year. Surprising that some of the things we take for granted could be considered luxuries.... if we're without them!

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/24/01 12:32:52 pm)
    That's great, Dave! Know that you guys did
    without a lot of the "little things" that make
    life bearable.

Sharon

dap22
    (8/24/01 6:48:18 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    If nothing else, doing without gave great appreciation for the little things that most take for granted........not just the little things but life itself. Thank you for your thoughts Sharon.

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/25/01 4:26:28 pm)
    I'm sure it did, Dave. Hubby still appreciates a good breakfast with
    fresh milk and eggs. Think those are some of the things he
    missed most over there.

Sharon

dap22
    (8/25/01 6:59:48 pm)
    | Del
    ezSupporter
    You mean he didn't like the greenish colored powdered eggs and reconsituted chlorine tasting milk? I didn't much either although I guess I kind of got used to the stuff after awhile........it was great to get home and have real eggs and real milk though.

TShooters
    V.I.P. Member
    (8/26/01 6:11:26 pm)
    Nope, Dave. He didn't like that at all! He was glad to get back home...where the milk came straight
    from the cow, and the eggs came straight from the hen! He was glad to eat the AF food at Kelly AFB, though..they had a great chow hall.

Sharon