MENTAL HEALTH HELP

Discussion in 'VMBB General Discussion' started by inplanotx, Mar 8, 2003.

1. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Smoky14
    (10/24/02 9:13:45 am)
    Reply MENTAL HEALTH HELP
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've been having real serious problems lately and I don't know where to go for help.

I thought the damn flash backs were finally over as I'd hadn't had any for over 5yrs but they are back and all different as they are mingled with current reality.

Needless to say money is a problem as I'm not working and I feel I really need help.

Any suggestions appreciated.

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/24/02 4:00:22 pm)
    Reply Re: MENTAL HEALTH HELP
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Same here .....

Have you tried the VA ... ?

There are also Vet Outreach Centers around the country at no cost ...

Six

"Golf 2/5 Marines ... Knockin On Heavens Door In Hue City"

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/25/02 1:53:34 am)
    Hello Smoky14,

Please do as Six suggested and go to a VA Outreach center or any other VA center and begin searching for that needed help.

and.....you have us. Heck, we may not be doctors but we care enough to ride the storm with you. There have been many a veterans that have come on board with the same problems and found that being with someone else that knows what they are feeling and knowing of the problems that was brought home with them unknowingly in their duffel bag can help immensely.

It may take you a while to begin.....fully expected, begin little by little and tell us so that we may be able to talk about it with you.

Please don't feel as though you will make your self look stupid or silly......you are among your kind...we are here for you, just like each of us was there for one another when incountry.

Hope

Smoky14
    (10/25/02 9:26:42 am)
    Thanks for your support. I'm living in a remote location, in an attempt to escape, and I guess you can't hide from your own mind. I don't do mind altering drugs, although tempted, and I'm afraid the VA will just try to dope me up with the "don't give a crap pills" and turn me loose like they did to some of my buddies.

Got a note from Sherry748, unable to reply, offering help: Thanks but don't want to drag anyone into this hole with me.

Smoky the grateful

SixTGunr
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/25/02 10:32:52 am)
    Smoke .....

If the VA wories you ..... Do try the Vet Outreach Centers as I had extremely good luck with them. They are generally spread around the country and to my knowledge there are many of them and hopefully one not too far from your location.

I was made to feel "very comfortable" there and with my counselor who also happened to be a member of my peers.

Like Hope has stated ... WE are here for ya as well if the need arises.

"Welcome Home Brother"

Six

"Golf 2/5 Marines ... Knockin On Heavens Door In Hue City"

hope6970
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/25/02 1:29:15 pm)
    Smoky14,

May I ask (and I am asking politely) you speak of not dragging anyone in that hole with you.

Smoky, there is not a place that anyone of us vets on here that have not found themselves in, regarding the remembering-flashback department.

Do not worry about dragging us in with you, we are all standing at the rim willing to give you a hand out of it if possible. Do as Six suggested and reach out to that vet outreach if possible....it just may surprise you how much help that you could receive from them.

Welcome Home Smoky!!

Hope

TallTLynn
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/25/02 7:16:42 pm)

Re: MENTAL HEALTH HELP
    smokey - I'm not a vet though I do work for the VA as many here can testify.

Drugs admittedly are not always the answer and I admire you for your attitude in that regard. However, that being said there are also other avenues. Group get togethers where you can sit down and talk with others who are having the same problems, here where you can talk to other vets who want to help.

Please don't go down that road of saying you don't want to drag anyone into your mess. There are times when each and every one of us needs a helping hand. We want to help.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (10/26/02 1:08:17 am)
    Listen to them Smokey, they/we wouldn't say it if we
    didn't mean it.

And don't forget, we are ALL here for ya Bud!

Welcome Home My Friend!

JD/AKA-Tac
    TFF VMBB Email Tac

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/26/02 9:18:00 pm)
    Listen UP, Smokey!

I myself just got home from a "tuneup" on the Psych ward at the Boise VA Hospital. Tlyn, the dear friend that she is, drove
    about 40 miles on Saturday 2 weeks ago to haul my freaking out self into the Emergency Room at the VA. She stuck with me until I was admitted. God bless that lady!

I don't know where you are located, but if you are in the VA "system" and get to a VA facility, whether it is a hospital or VetCenter outreach center, get there ASAP.
    You are not a wimp, sissy or any of that crap.
    I began my treatment for PTSD way back in '88 at the Phoenix Vetcenter and the first problem I HAD to overcome was the feeling of not bothering poeple with my problems.
    As the counselers finally got thru to me and convinced me that they are there for US, the veterans. I soon figured out that many of these folks are vets themselves and therefore they KNOW what you are talking about and you can trust them.
    Please believe me, Brother Smokey, the methods of treating and handling PTSD Vets has greatly improved and have a much more humanatarian side to them. It may be inevitable that you may recieve some kind of drug therapy, but the daze of 'the thorazine shuffle' are over except in extreme cases where the vet has become unstable or a threat to himselves or others.
    This situation is a last resort as all other treatments are tried first.
    If possible, Could you Email me at rbaczik@hotmail.com, or phone#208-896-5463
    Let me now where you live, if possible and Email & phone #.
    Perhaps Talking about some of this shit will help you some.

Smokey, I will gladly jump in the hole with you, cause just maybe I can boot yer sorry ass outa that shithole and I will help in any way possible to help a fellow vet. Cause, brother Smokey, if we don't help each other, then we are all lost, cause nobody else will.

Just like incountry Smokey, we take care of our own, regardless of branch of service, Cause nobody knows more about your pain than a fellow vet, and who knows, you may be helping someone else as you discuss problems in group therapy sessions. or just talking to another vet. Call me please.

Love and respect,

Sp5 Robert M. Baczik/ aka berto64
    RVN Jan '69 to Apr 6 '71 US Army

Endeaver to Persevere

Edited by: berto64 at: 10/27/02 10:58:22 pm

berto64
    *VMBB Staff*
    (10/27/02 11:09:32 pm)
    smokey, check your PM.
    By the way, what do you ride? Cruisers, sportbikes, or touring bikes, or pro-stock?
    I still ride my very first H-D, a '64 panhead bagger that I just rebuilt it last year. Last time I was in your part of the world was a Veteran's Day celebration in the early '80's. My Pan was grey at that time.
    Looking forward to hearing from you.

berto

Endeaver to Persevere