The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merwin Hulbert 32 Long ammo

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  exarcher 
#1 ·
I have a Merwin Hulbert 32 long 7-shot revolver. It is in excellent condition with presentation box and two barrels (5-1/2 and 3-1/2 inches). I bought a box of 32 long S&W, thinking to shoot the pistol, only to discover and realize that this cartridge won't fit the cylinder, due to the extraction rim which exceeds the head space (which is nearly flush with the face of the pistol).

Is M&H 32 long ammo available, other than collectible high priced items? If so, where? Can someone comment and share info on the rimless center fire cartridge, apparently required for my pistol? What holds it in the cylinder?

Many thanks,
Granpa

#2 ·
If I'm reading this thread corectly
http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=71902

There was a 32 M&H, which was the same as a 32 S&W, except the bullet shape was a little different.

They then came out with the 32 M&H Long, which was the same as the 32 H&R. It was longer than the 32 S&W (and the 32 M&H), but shorter than the 32 S&W Long. And still had the slightly different bullet shape.

The 32 M&H Long is obsolete. Too bad, so sad, ain't available.

But you MIGHT can shoot 32 S&W in your gun.

Think of it like a 44 S&W. First there was the 44 Russian, then came the slightly longer 44 Special, and then the slightly longer 44 Magnum. If you had a gun in 44 Special, and the Special ammo was not available, you could not use the Magnum (too long to fit) but could still shoot the Russians.

Now, I don't KNOW that the 32 S&W will work. I've never even had an M&H in my hand. But, as I said, if I am reading that thread correctly, it just might.

#3 ·
Welcome to TFF GranPa,

The link Alpo posted lists case link of the .32 Merwin Hulbert Long (aka .32 H&R) as .890, and case length of the .32 S&W Long is .930, so case length and not rim thickness is likely your problem.
If so, the regular "short" .32 S&W cartridge should chamber. But, these were 1880s black powder guns, and should not be fired with current smokeless powder ammo anyway. It sounds like a nice set, and why risk loosening or other damage?

FYI, here's an adv. for your gun in the 1887 MH catalog:

Attachments

#4 ·
Welcome Granpa
Alpo is on track......
Your .32 M&H long was made by Hopkins & Allen Co
and requires a specialty cartridge that you will have
an almost impossible time finding.
I don't think you can close the gun if it is loaded with
any rimmed brass, so even a .32 S&W won't work.
The specialty cartridge had a shoulder on the lead
projectile that held it at the right depth in the cylinder.
Hopkins and Allen Arms Company was founded in the year 1868.
The company made revolvers, shotguns and rifles.
They went bankrupt in 1916.

#8 ·
Damn sure is Brother......geez, old age is messin' with me.
Something is still different with the rim [I seem to remember]
Even the pic of the rim looks weird.
I haven't seen any ammo in probably 40 yrs.....
the pic is from a friends gun [dogngun] and he bought
it thinking it would shoot a standard .32

#10 ·
Thanks to everyone for your reply. The S&W 32 long cartridge extraction rim prevents the cylinder from closing. At $50.00 per cap, I can wait. This was my dad's pistol, and looks exactly like the pic from HRF, plus, I have a presentation box which accommodates both barrels. I also have two PAT 1877 S&W 32 short 5-shot, spur trigger, break-top to load pistols, with ammo left by my grandfather. The head space on these two is sufficient for the extraction rim of the ammo, contrary to the situation with the M&H 32 long. Again, thanks for taking the time to provide your insights.

#13 ·
i read an article that explained the only diff between the m&h 32 and 32 s&w was the bullet,,, s&w even manufactured them,, & it wouldn't have been the "long" version since MH went out of business the same yr the 32 Long was released (which has a thicker rim and and wider base diameter) which explains your problem i think.. sorry i'm 10 yrs late..

#11 ·
I never heard of a Merwin Hulbert pistol. :eek:

But with a goofy name like that... he was probably one mean sum beach.:D

#12 ·
De Niro used one, in Godfather. I believe it was what he used to kill the local Mafia guy, that wandered around in the white suit and wanted to get his beak wet. Broke it into several pieces and dropped it down various chimneys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.