Miami Vice: Bren Ten, S&W 645 and 4506

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by John Y., Mar 26, 2005.

1. John Y.

John Y. New Member

With the renewed interest in Miami Vice (Season One DVD release and an upcoming theatrical version) has anyone here fired a Bren Ten, S&W 645 or S&W 4506? This was the main character, Sonny Crockett's, pistol at various times during the run of the show

What was it like to shoot?

Thanks,

John
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

The S&W 4506 is one of the best out there in their line of 45`s.
    Proven track record, reliable, sturdy and dependable. If it ain`t a 1911, it`s a 4506 in my book.

Can`t......check that, won`t spit on the 10.

LTS
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

45...fine. 10mm, not a proven manstopper! You can keep the 10mm! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

You can keep Miami Vice too! :D
  4. cec

cec New Member

I own a 4506. Very nice gun and easy to handle for what some would call a hand cannon. :D

I picked mine up a couple months ago after it had gone back to SW for a full reconditioning and night sight installation. Too bad I couldn't afford it's mate.

The only "problem" I had was that the recoil spring guide slipped out of my grip when I putting it back together. Scared the hell out of me and almost went through my bag of cleaning pads.
  5. llama.45

llama.45 New Member

i love my 10mm
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

The Bren Ten was the brainchild of Col. Jeff Cooper; sort of a CZ 75, in a Real Caliber. Pity they went belly up, as the pistol was/is an exceptional piece of work, excepting parts availability (especially mags!)
    Excellent ergos allow the MAJOR ballistics, with no more recoil than a 1911, to my hand.
    Owned, shot a lot, then sold one of the few handguns I wish I still had. Would buy another, in a heartbeat, if it was right and had some spare mags.
    This was the main carry gun of " Sonny Crockett" in Miami Vice, as I recall.
    Unfortunately, it is WAY more gun than most cops, at least where I live, will ever qualify with. Pity. Just think about the reduction in recidivism, should every cop use such a weapon, and well!
  7. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

I owned a Bren Ten SM years ago (I sold it in early '95) and I really liked it. It is a very solid, well built firearm. I am a very avid 10mm collector and will replace it some day. This time I will get either the SFL or SFD (special forces light/dark). I was just never a fan of ANY two-tone pistol.
    If you want to save yourself A LOT of money, buy a Tangfolio Witness (imported by E.A.A.). They are not the same, but they are based on the CZ design just like the Bren Ten was and they cost ~$350 instead of $~1,500+
    Some people "Miami Vice" their Bren Ten SM by having the slide hard chromed and oddly enough, that doesn't bring the price down. Most rare collectibles like that when modified drop dramatically in resell value but those haven't.

If anyone's got any discontinued mint 10mm's, shoot me an email!
  8. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Crockett also carried a Detonics .45 as a backup in an ankle holster.
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

For the same EGOs as the Bren ten, either the EAA Witness in 45ACP or the CZ 97 in 45ACP. Both are big guns for big handed people. For the rest of us the regular CZ 75 is a good choice. All these guns have the same basic EGOs and fit most people better than almost anything else.

Let's see. The 10mm is not a man stopper? The FBI thought so, at least for awhile. The 40 S&W is a 10mm short, downloaded so that more than the manly men could handle the recoil and to reduce the size (9mm frames in most cases). The 40 S&W is widely used by police across our nation. I find 10mm full load recoil not that bad but it is more than a 1911 in 45ACP. It certainly doesn't jerk like a 357 Mag or hurt like a 44 Mag. It does a little twist at the end. But when the police use 100 lb women for police duty the 10mm might be too much for them.

LDBennett
  10. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

My wife can shoot my Glock 20 one handed using the great offerings from DoubleTap.

Here's why I love the 10mm:
    10mm 135gr JHP
    1600fps/ 767 ft./lbs. from a Glock 20

Or, if you prefer something heavier, then check out this load (excerpt from website):
    10mm 220gr Precision FP

At 150yds this 220gr slug is still traveling over 950fps! This is
    equivalant to a .45ACP +p at the muzzle! These slugs are cast to 16 BHN and coated with a polymer coating to prevent leading even out of polygonal-rifled barrels.
    1125fps/ 618 ft./lbs. from a Glock 20

I have nothing against the venerable .45acp, I just prefer something better...