Michigan government unleashes armed raids on small pig farmers.

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by steve4102, Apr 17, 2012.

1. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

Michigan Department of Natural Resources has, in total violation of the Fourth Amendment, conducted two armed raids on pig farmers in that state, one in Kalkaska County at Fife Lake and another in Cheboygan County. Staging raids involving six vehicles and ten armed men, DNA conducted unconstitutional, illegal and arguably criminal armed raids on these two farms with the intent of shooting all the farmers' pigs under a bizarre new "Invasive Species Order" (ISO) that has suddenly declared traditional livestock to be an invasive species.

http://www.naturalnews.com/035585_Michigan_farms_raids.html
  2. Haligan

Haligan Well-Known Member

When you turn off the TV and step back, look around, you see; this is not the country we thought it was.:(

How do we get it back ?:confused:
  3. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

If you do a little searching they did not kill domesticated pigs they were killing feral hogs that these guys had imported into michigan for hunt clubs and the like. These hogs are invasive and just like texas and many other southern states are out of control. These hogs had been escaping in Michigan and were destroying other peoples land. In Iowa it is illegal to import these types of swine because they are not tested for pseudorabies and other diseases that are destructive to other swine herds. If a state looses it's pseudorabies status it is very destructive to the farmers who have hogs in that state because you can't sell them. The whole herd has to be destroyed and usually any herd that tests positive within miles of the original herd that tested positive. This was a far cheaper and better way to stop it. And good for Michigan.
  4. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

CJH .... Thanks for the post !
    Where did you get that intel. .... my neighbor has a herd of pigs and is afraid the "g'ment" will show-up at his front door to destroy them .
  5. Millwright

Millwright Well-Known Member

Saw this today on Drudge ! Un be F'n lievable this could happen in America ! This is bureaucratic arrogance at its most evil and blatant ! Just who works for whom in MI; and elsewhere ?

When "armed jackbooted thugs" can destroy an individuals decades of labor under the spurious cover of bureaucratic fiat, we're no longer "free" ! We've become slaves to a bureaucrat's whim or wile. >MW
  6. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

John Henry if you read down through the comments on the OP's link there are people saying that these were Feral or wild pigs, not hogs raised for meat. I guess I should have been clear where I found the info to begin with. Didn't have time to do any more digging. This same thing has happened here in Iowa numerous times once within 20 miles of me. A guy brought in several wild pigs from texas which is Illegal because they can carry pseudorabies and destroy crops. Only problem was the guy turned them loose before the DNR could kill them. So Lots of hog hunts finally got rid of them. Several were killed in deer drives. All the farmers in that area had rifles in their combines. Said they would sometimes see 20 or 30 hogs in their bean fields, and find several acres of corn in the middle of fields destroyed, uprooted by hogs.
    My family has had pigs since my great grandfather bought a farm here in the 30s so I guess we know a little bit of something about them. I don't know what Michigans laws are but I would guess that if these were Feral pigs that they have probably banned them from Michigan. If your neighbor has pigs and they are not wild and are kept penned or look like a wild boar I would guess he has nothing to worry about.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  7. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good info CJH. Thanks.
  8. mranum

mranum Member

Open season on feral pigs here in the land of cheeseheads. Not a problem where I live yet but they seem to get closer every year. They do tremendous amounts of damage. To me the bottom line is, the only good one is a dead one.
  9. cjh7819

cjh7819 New Member

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10371_10402-263850--,00.html

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...tomKDA&usg=AFQjCNEN2jMevjGEkYF6ofYuyz3AGm-uXA

Now keep in mind I do not like or agree with gov't of any kind telling me what I can and cannot do or what I can or cannot have. But in this instance I will make an exception though I think that small herds that were quarantened and kept inside pins could have been allowed as long as they were tested for the long list of diseases that are harmful to other livestock and people. But the risk to the agricultural sector in Michigan is not worth the risk to just allow them to be raised and released or let "escape". Someone said in one article I read that it could cost the state 100s of thousands of dollars in tourism dollars by banning the pigs. If they didn't it could cost the farmers there millions in lost revenue from crops being destroyed and livestock becoming sick and dying from the diseases the wild pigs can carry.
  10. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

Trust me guys our new governor is doing the right things here. We have been in an 8 year depression with Jenny granholm but things are turning around finally. Mi was nuts for a while but the right decisions are finally being made. I know some will be rediculous too but so far it's been way better!
  11. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

Yup, you're right .... I missed the part about them being ferel hogs.
    Again, thanks for the info !
  12. nightwalker

nightwalker New Member

I have a friend in Northern MI who has been raising an old breed of pig for years which he sells to high-end restaurants for a premium price. He and his family are about the most upstanding and honest people you'll ever meet. The MI DNR shut down their pig operation because feral pigs COULD interbreed with them. Seems to be pretty heavy-handed to me.
  13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

In my checking of this story, I find the "sky is falling" original on just a few fringe web-sites, while the actual story is that the Michigan DNR has killed NO farmers hogs, nor have they forced any farmer to kill his own hogs. NO arrests have been made, NO fines given out (yet), etc.

They are dealing with wild hogs here, and they WILL stop anyone from breeding and raising them due to the fact that it is this kind of operation that got the wild herds started in the area. They are NOT native, and are indeed very destructive.

Florida, Texas, and other areas have passed similar laws in the past when wild hogs were bringing devastation to those areas.

I have to agree with this law.
    If my neighbor was raising Cobras and they kept escaping and slithering through my yard, I would want him stopped and hunters told to shoot any they encountered in the wild.

These hogs are not a domestic species, nor even a wild species native to the area; they are an invasive species.
  14. ka64

ka64 Well-Known Member

If you say so!!!!!!!!!
  15. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I have to agree with Ampaterry. I live in Michigan and the law in question is a reasonable attempt to protect the public. The DNR and most other state agencies here in Michigan have had their funding cut to the bone under our last Governor and under our current Governor it's no better. DNR tends to use their limited resources as necessary to protect the people of this state.