Michigan Residents Can Have .....

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by JohnHenry, Sep 2, 2011.

1. JohnHenry

JohnHenry Well-Known Member

2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I declined to interview for a position in Michigan in part because of the law on silencers (it was just one of many reasons).

Glad it's changed for you now!
  3. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

if i had silencers i would definitely not register them. the number of silencers you register tells the feds the minimum number of weapons to look for when they come for your guns.
  4. ka64

ka64 Active Member

YEPPER, Gonna add one to my AR............
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Most states have a law about "Title 2" firearms. Those are guns regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934. Florida law, for example, says it is illegal to own a machine gun, or a short barreled rifle, or a short barreled shotgun, or a silencer. Then they go on to say that that law does not apply if the gun in question is legally registered with the Federal Government.

So, if I have a silencer and it is not registered with the Feds, I am not only breaking a Federal law (good for 10 years in the Federal lockup and a quarter million dollar fine), but am also breaking a state law.

Apparently, Michigan used to say "Silencers are illegal". Period. Now they say, "Silencers are illegal, unless they are registered with the Feds".

The regulations are simple. You register it. You give the Feds your picture. Your fingerprints. And the big thing - you give 'em two hundred dollars.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

That is your choice, of course. However, they have quite strict punishments for that. 10 years AND 250,000 dollars for EACH one. One unregistered silencer - 10 years and a quarter mill. Two - twenty years and a half mill. Four - forty years and a million dollars. Me - I'd register 'em. And if I wasn't going to, I damn sure would not announce that fact to the world on the internet.
  7. JohnHenry

Thanks Alpo ........ I will most certainly register every silencer I buy !
  8. ka64

ka64 Active Member

I believe the proper term is Suppressors, Silencer is Hollyweird.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

As I've said, a few dozen times, Hiram Maxim invented it. He called it a silencer. So it's a silencer. Saying it is not a silencer because "it does not completely silence the shot, it only suppresses the noise partially" is like saying it is not an automobile because it does not automatically move you from place to place, but needs someone to steer and work the accelerator, brake and gears.

Silencer was the name long before Hollywood had sound.

[​IMG]
  10. ka64

ka64 Active Member

To each their own Al but in Michigan we call em Suppressors..........
  11. JohnHenry

In Michigan, until a short time ago, we didn't speak of them .... not legal, you know.
  12. ka64

ka64 Active Member

Thats why we are silenced no more, too many years of suppression.
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Now that's funny. :D
  14. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

which is why is said if;)
  15. Millwright

Millwright Active Member

Once again "advertising hyperbole" confounds government ! Maxim made a lot of "silencers" for all sorts of things ! "Silencer" was his brand name. But, thanks to Hollywood, his adaptation of his patented technology to firearms was perceived as "evil" (because only the bad guys used it on the silver screen) and we all know how real Hollywood - the home of the sixteen shooter - is !!

IOW, thanks to a bunch of celluloid villians, really stupid congresscritters abetted by equally stupid "antis" we have a serious public health issue ! An issue, BTW, we've already addressed via OSHA in the workplace and even some amusements, but not on the range ! Ever wonder "why" ?

And, just to prove our "public servants" are consistent, examine the history of the "mineworker self-rescuer in the US. Invented by Huer, (pronounced "hour" ) in Europe, when brought to the attention of the MSA they required a formerly light and convenient emergency device have a minimal 1-hour endurance thereby making a formerly light and convenient safety device heavy, cumbersome and far more expensive ! Which, of course meant they were "issued" rather than "seeded around the mine" as extras in case of need .......

God protect us from being "helped" any more by government bureaucrats ! >MW
  16. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I noticed our current Mich. Attorney General, Bill Schuette's oppinion letter about a week ago, saying that it was ok for us to own Federally licenced silencers. The prior A.G., Mike Cox, also a Republican, had issued a similar opinion that we Michiganders could own Federally licenced machineguns. Back when Cox was running for Governor, I asked him why is full auto opinion did not cover silencers, and I did not get a straight answer.

Anyway, it's great that now the official possition of our office of the Michigan Attorney General is now in line with the Michigan Compiled Laws as to both full auto's and silencers. The bureaucratic wheels turn slowly but they do turn.

The next question is ...... do I want to pay the money and go through the trouble to get one? Is a silencer worth all the red tape and cost?
  17. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I thought the license on a silencer/supressor was only $25 or so. Full auto is $200.

Pops
  18. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Im not completely familiar with NFA item regulations, but I BELIEVE that all NFA items are treated equally - a short barreled shotgun, handgun with a buttstock, a full auto firearm, a SILENCER, and the parts necessary to CONSTRUCT any of the above, are ALL "considered equal" by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Fantasy - in other words, I think the "tax/fee" is $200 for ANY NFA related item.
  19. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Nope. Machinegun, short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun and silencer are all 200.

Any Other Weapon, which is pretty much anything that does not fit the other categories, is five dollars. These include shotgun that looks like a pistol, or a gun that does not look like a gun - cane gun, pen gun, cigarette lighter gun, flashlight gun - like that.

There is also Destructive Devices, which would cover Bazookas and 40mm Grenade Launchers and 20mm Anti-Tank Cannon, and things of that nature. Not sure how much that one costs, but probably it's also 200.