Michigan Residents Can Have .....

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by JohnHenry, Sep 2, 2011.

1. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I noticed our current Mich. Attorney General, Bill Schuette's oppinion letter about a week ago, saying that it was ok for us to own Federally licenced silencers. The prior A.G., Mike Cox, also a Republican, had issued a similar opinion that we Michiganders could own Federally licenced machineguns. Back when Cox was running for Governor, I asked him why is full auto opinion did not cover silencers, and I did not get a straight answer.

Anyway, it's great that now the official possition of our office of the Michigan Attorney General is now in line with the Michigan Compiled Laws as to both full auto's and silencers. The bureaucratic wheels turn slowly but they do turn.

The next question is ...... do I want to pay the money and go through the trouble to get one? Is a silencer worth all the red tape and cost?
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I thought the license on a silencer/supressor was only $25 or so. Full auto is $200.

Pops
  3. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Im not completely familiar with NFA item regulations, but I BELIEVE that all NFA items are treated equally - a short barreled shotgun, handgun with a buttstock, a full auto firearm, a SILENCER, and the parts necessary to CONSTRUCT any of the above, are ALL "considered equal" by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Fantasy - in other words, I think the "tax/fee" is $200 for ANY NFA related item.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Nope. Machinegun, short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun and silencer are all 200.

Any Other Weapon, which is pretty much anything that does not fit the other categories, is five dollars. These include shotgun that looks like a pistol, or a gun that does not look like a gun - cane gun, pen gun, cigarette lighter gun, flashlight gun - like that.

There is also Destructive Devices, which would cover Bazookas and 40mm Grenade Launchers and 20mm Anti-Tank Cannon, and things of that nature. Not sure how much that one costs, but probably it's also 200.