Middle Eastern? Flintlock Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by medimarketeer, Sep 6, 2012.

1. medimarketeer

medimarketeer New Member

I would greatly appreciate any help you might offer in identifying the flintlock pistol seen in the attached photos. I brought it to a local firearms dealer who said he believed it to be an original (not replica), of middle eastern origin, and quite ornate compared to most manufactured in the middle east. I would like to sell it, and would like to know the following information:
    1) Country of Manufacture based on barrel proof mark.
    2) Approximate Date of Manufacture
    3) Approximate Value
    4) The best auction-style website for selling a flintlock pistol (one which provides the option of using a local FID licensed dealer/service for transfer).

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Sincerely,
    Medimarketeer

Attached Files:

2. dcriner

dcriner Member

"4) The best auction-style website for selling a flintlock pistol (one which provides the option of using a local FID licensed dealer/service for transfer)."

Muzzleloaders don't need to be sold through a FFL dealer. Just box it up and send it via UPS to the purchaser. State or local laws may come into play though.
  3. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

1. Country of Mfgr, best guestimate Turkey. Barrel marks probably not identifiable. Turkey had a government and was a bit ahead of other ME countries.

2. Date of Mfgr. Probably between 1750 & 1850. By European standards, the shape of the lock could be as early as 1700 but Middle East guns copy Europe couple generations later and hang on to early details longer. Other lock characteristics place it closer to 1800 or later.

3. Big pistol in apparently good condition free of amateur attempt at cleaning or improvement might bring $300 or more at auction. I would start it at $300.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Shipping an antique doesn't even require a common carrier. You can send it a lot cheaper by ordinary mail and have enough left over for insurance. (Make sure the P.O. clerk knows it is an antique; if it gets x-rayed, or the package comes open and someone sees a gun they could panic.)

Jim
  5. medimarketeer

medimarketeer New Member

Which website would be most appropriate for trying to sell this? I looked at gunsamerica, but it didn't seem to be the best for this style. Any suggestions?
  6. laurastifence

laurastifence New Member

Can someone please let me know which website will be best for selling this?
  7. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

You'll probably get more exposure on gunbroker but don't expect a lot of money out of it.
  8. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

You might try the major gun auction houses such as Rock Island Auctions. Failing that & maybe better would be to walk it around gun shows. You will get offers & can sell or not & learn more about perceive value.
  9. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

when I first saw it, I thought Ottoman Empire (Turkish) origin.
    maybe someone else here has a catalog of proofs

I have seen these sell for $300 -$400 or there abouts depending on condtion
  10. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Well-Known Member

I think it's a tourist piece. The engraving and fitting are very crude.
  11. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Selling what? This is your first post!
  12. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Gunauction (also known as Auction Arms) tends to get better prices than gunbroker. I'd put it up for sale there.
  13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Weird -
    Two year old thread, and a new member makes the first post asking where they can sell it.
  14. rawright54

rawright54 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This could be the same poster, who forgot what logon was used 2 years ago; sometimes it's just easier to make up a new one. Or it could be that the new user has something similar to sell and is looking for the same answer. Or laurastifence might be the widow, sister, or daughter of medimarketeer, who passed away waiting for someone to buy this gun, and the task of selling the thing has fallen to her. Too little information to make an intelligent guess, but a bit of speculation can be fun.:)
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I suppose it could be the same poster - the original poster's IP address shows NOTHING! and laurastifence's IP address shows that he/she is from India!!