Middle Eastern Flintlock?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by jbradshaw3, Jul 24, 2010.

1. jbradshaw3

jbradshaw3 New Member

I am trying to help my parents ID a wallhanger that was given to my dad over 20 years ago. It seems to be all handmade and complete. It appears to be of middle eastern origin. It is very ornate with brass banding. I cannot find a marking anywhere on this rifle. I know this isn't much info, but that's all I know. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

3. jbradshaw3

jbradshaw3 New Member

Thanks. Looking at your link, it does match the characteristics of the jezail. The only thing that doesn't match up to the description is the butt stock. It is a shoulder fired stock, whereas the jezail is said to be curved and fired from under the arm. Maybe just a modification? Wish I could find some sort of marking. Description said they were often made from parts of British Brown Bess.
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Those guns were made from anything available, but FWIW, I think that one was intended as a firearm, not one of the tourist souvenir dummy guns sold in North Africa and the Middle East. The shape of the stock depended on the area of origin; I think that is from the Morocco area, but will defer to anyone more expert than I. It is (IMHO) not of high dollar value, but its value as a gift cannot be measured in money.

(An interesting commentary: http://www.kipling.org.uk/poems_arith.htm . Of course, Americans are also on "the frontier" and AK-47's and IEDs have replaced the jezail and tulwar, but the whole thing sounds all too familiar.)

Jim
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  5. jbradshaw3

jbradshaw3 New Member

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I didn't figure it was worth a whole lot. Like I said, it is my dad's, and he was just wondering about it's history.