The Firearms Forum banner

Might be buying a used .45 Need advice

3K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  glocknut 
#1 ·
I have a friend of a friend coming by tomorrow to let me look at a used SA1911 milspec he wants to sell.
I have no idea what kind of shape it's in, but my buddy has seen it and says outward appearance looks good.
I have shot .45's, but have very little technical knowledge of them. That is why I would like to ask ya'll what to look for or check out on this gun. Also, if the gun is in decent shape, what do you think a good price would be to offer? I know there are variables, but just give me ball park figures for an average gun.
One other thing. I don't know if the guy was just going to change grips or what, but my buddy says the dude had the grips off when he saw it. May not mean anything, but I had the thought that maybe the guy was trying to fix something.(?)
Anyway, all I know to do is check for rust, rack the slide a few times and dry fire it to test for functionality.

Any other suggestions as to what to look for?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
see if he will let you keep it for a few days as sort of a trial period to make sure it shoots and is what it needs to be. If he gives you the green light put it through its paces for a few days. If theres a hiccup to be found you should be able to find it within the first hundred rounds and first strip down and clean up.

#4 ·
Range in price from $475 to $575 +tax, so base your offer on that. I have seen them at academy for $550 NIB. If it function flawlessly and shoots well and the finish is still 100% I would offer him $500 to be fair. But if you can get it cheaper, then by all means;)

#5 · (Edited)
I picked up a really nice SS milspec from a co-worker for 450 with reloading dies and 200 bullets, one thing I suggest is call Springfield Armory customer servie http://www.springfield-armory.com/contactus.php and you can get the date of MFR of the SN, maybe one thing to consider. The one I picked up was extracing like crap when I bought it, 13 bucks in new springs and it was fixed, if the guy is having problems try a low offer and fix it! 1911 are very "workable" and have fast become my favorite do to availability of inexpensive parts.

If you need grips I can sling you my hogues if you want send me a PM,

Attachments

#7 ·
if its a gi model, that does not have a lowered and flared ejection port a used one is worth around 400-450. if it's a milspec then 500 is a good price. the quiested way to tell the difference if you're unsure as to the ejection port is check to see if it has a lanyard. the milspec doesnt have a lanyard ring but the gi model does unless it's been removed.

the biggest thing to look for when inspecting one is modifications to the pistol that were not done professionally. any idiot, including myself could polish the feed ramp, but if it's not done exactly right you'll have intermittent problems. i found this out on two used 1911s

having someone inspect the pistol that is familiar with the design and knows to look for damage would be preferable unless the seller tells you it is unmodified and you believe him

#8 ·
I have a friend of a friend coming by tomorrow to let me look at a used SA1911 milspec he wants to sell.
I have no idea what kind of shape it's in, but my buddy has seen it and says outward appearance looks good.
I have shot .45's, but have very little technical knowledge of them. That is why I would like to ask ya'll what to look for or check out on this gun. Also, if the gun is in decent shape, what do you think a good price would be to offer? I know there are variables, but just give me ball park figures for an average gun.
One other thing. I don't know if the guy was just going to change grips or what, but my buddy says the dude had the grips off when he saw it. May not mean anything, but I had the thought that maybe the guy was trying to fix something.(?)
Anyway, all I know to do is check for rust, rack the slide a few times and dry fire it to test for functionality.

Any other suggestions as to what to look for?

Thanks

First thing... See if he will let you take it out and shoot a magazine or two through it.

Make sure it doesn't have any "newb scratches." Like make sure that there aren't any scratches where the slide stop would slide against when reassembling the gun.

Just kinda check out the general fit of the gun.

#9 ·
First thing... See if he will let you take it out and shoot a magazine or two through it.

Make sure it doesn't have any "newb scratches." Like make sure that there aren't any scratches where the slide stop would slide against when reassembling the gun.

i would not let a disassembly/reassembly mark stop me from buying the gun. in fact i think the mark adds character to a gun. it's not a sign of abuse, but of use i think. when i had a full size springfield i had a mark on mine, i used to once in a while take the gun down and reassemble blind folded or on a time trial basis.

#10 ·

I agree, IMHO a slide stop mark is nothing but fuel for negotiating a better price! Knock another $50 off your offer

#12 ·
update.

I saw the pistol today. The guy had it disassembled with the slide in place on top of the frame. All the smaller pieces (hammer, springs etc...) were in a bag. He told me he had lost a pin that goes in the bottom rear of the grip area, and without it, he said it could not be completely reassembled. My friend vouches for him, so I take him at his word that once he gets that pin replaced, it can be reassembled. Obviously, I would not buy it without seeing it reassembled and testing it for functionality. The bluing (or Parkerizing) looked very good on it. No rust. He had the grips, and they looked good also. It has the four inch barrel, which is exactly the size I wanted.
Check this out! I asked him how much he wanted for it, and he said he would take $200 for it!!! I guess he is in a hurry to sell it. I know it is worth more than that, but if he is happy with $200, I will be happy to pay it! (provided it functions properly!)
Hope I didn't just jinx the deal! But I am SO pumped about buying it now!!! Always wanted a 1911, so keep your fingers crossed that everything works out!

#15 ·
You know Shooter, You're right! Guess I had a big time brain fart!!!
I guess I was just thinking 'what if' there was more wrong than just a missing pin. Still at that price, I feel sure I could have it repaired (if needed) and still be money ahead!
Anyway, I'm waiting for the guy to call me back and I'm going to tell him to bring it on and I will go ahead and buy it.

(Man, your post reminded me of my Dad getting on to me when I pulled a bone headed stunt!!! Certainly deserved, in this instance!)

#17 ·
Hurry up and get that $$ in his face! :D Lets see some pics when you get it!! A great deal, congrats !

#18 ·
I guess I was just thinking 'what if' there was more wrong than just a missing pin. Still at that price, I feel sure I could have it repaired (if needed) and still be money ahead!
Anyway, I'm waiting for the guy to call me back and I'm going to tell him to bring it on and I will go ahead and buy it.

(Man, your post reminded me of my Dad getting on to me when I pulled a bone headed stunt!!! Certainly deserved, in this instance!)

Sometimes, when you snooze, you lose and you don't need to be snoozing on this very good deal. :) Buy the pistol and IF there is a problem, I can walk you thru the repair process. As a matter of fact, I'll be down in Destin, Fl this weekend if you need to bring it over.

#19 ·
Better snatch it up, and do it fast for $200!
Like Shooter was saying, for a dollor or so, you cant go wrong IMO on $200.
For the price, your not going to go wrong either way. I hope it all works out for ya!
Ps: If ya happen to change yr mind on buying it, can ya let me know if it's still for sale?;);):D

#20 ·

Even if!! I tell ya what, buy it and put a mainspring housing pin in it. If it still doesnt work Ill buy it from you at a 50 dollar profit. You cant lose. I have enough parts on my desk to build 2 1911s had I 2 sets of frames and slides, so getting it workin would be no peoblemo for me...

#21 ·
Come to think of it, I don't think I've EVER seen a 1911 WITHOUT that slide stop/disassembly pin scratch. Only if it's NIB. Never seen a GI one without it 1911 or 1911-A1. I thought they were made that way :D:D. TJ

#22 ·
teejay, i thought that the mark meant the gun has been not only shot a lot, but cleaned a lot too

#23 ·
teejay, i thought that the mark meant the gun has been not only shot a lot, but cleaned a lot too
Same here, John. Don't think I've ever seen one more than a week old before that ol' scratch would show up. Must come with the territory ;). TJ

#25 ·
Funny thing about reassembling that slide stop. i was taught in the service to push the pin in and at the same time push it up at the notch. This of course will scratch the frame. What I just learned recently is that spring loaded plunger it presses against can be loosened up and lubed so that you can press the pin straight in. No more scratches.

#26 ·
Maybe a spark landed on them and they burnt off the gun...probably drier than a popcorn fart! You can probably get newer ones by going down to your local saw mill and getting a couple of scrap slabs to put on it. They should be green and moist and probably won't burn very easily for a few months? :D:D:D:D

Yeah...Sam kinda reminds me of the Dad from that "70s show" (Red)...you know....the crotchidy one...only worse! :D:D:D:D;)

mike
gn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.