Might get to finish afterall

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by JLA, Feb 21, 2010.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I am happy to say i have finally been able to afford the extra dough to finish my 1911 build. Just put the rest of the order in and all the parts will be here by wednesday:D Only gonna be waiting on one backorder, but ill have plenty to work on until it arrives. Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park:D
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Get us up to speed on your project and keep us posted.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

hooah... I started it about a year and a half ago. Stu got a couple of essex frames with the picatinny forged into em and he sold me one for like 90 or 100 bucks. I immediately went home and ordered an essex enhanced slide to match so Id have something to start with. Slide came in, and I fitted the frame and slide. I happend to have a new hogue wrap around in the bottom drawer of my reloading desk so i mounted it and ordered a couple other parts to start with. I tinkered with it for about a week and then came accross an article about johnny rowland and his high performance conversion for 1911s. I thought how cool it would be to have a 1911 with .44 mag power to hunt hogs with, so I put together an order. Order total was around 1200 bucks, but i had already gotten the frame slide and a few other odds which brought it down to like 800 or so. We were beginning to slow down a little at work and there wasnt much coming through the gunshop either so I held off on the order until things began to shape up. So the half finished pistol hang from a nail over my reloading desk staring at me for a little over a year. Well the oilfield is coming back to life and things are really looking good at work so i put in the rest of my order just about 30 minutes ago. They had to backorder the conversion kit but everything else will ship tomorrow, plus I have another barrel i can use until the conversion kit comes in. Ill take some pictures soon and document the build from start to finish and explian what i have already done...:)
  4. Shooter45

Great idea. Thanks.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Heres the pistol thus far... As stated above, I had fitted the frame and slide about a year ago before grinding to a halt financially. I just finished polishing the slideways and barrel lockup areas this morning, right now it feels like rubbing 2 pieces of glass together. I have one last catchy spot to work out of the action right where the frame contacts the slide just past slide lock. Its only there when the barrel and recoil spring/guide rod are installed so I suspect its the base of the guiderod contacting the slide at the base of the dust cover, no biggie, just a little file work, emery cloth and some 40X to polish the area back smooth. below are some pics the way she looks right now, shes gonna look alot different when complete. This is just the ugly birth of a beautiful beast;)

Attached Files:

6. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

It looks like you are well on your way. Did you purchase any how to books or are you just doing it from skills you picked up over the years? If so let me in on the titles. Building my own 1911 is something I may try to tackle one day. I can't wait to see how yours turns out.
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looks really good so far. I envy you and your skills. I have an Essex frame 1911 I bought from my smith. He built it for himself but sold it to me so I would stop whining. It is a Commander style with a Colt barrel and the smoothest trigger. I just wish that it had that rail. I know most 1911 lovers dont like the rail but I do. It also has the extended slide release as I see yours does also.Mine has the ambi safety which is good for me as I am a lefty. What finish are you going to use and are you going to have the backstrap and front grip checkered?
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

No books jackson, Just years of fascination and studying how these things work. All you need is a schematic of original dimensions and you could build one with pretty simple tools. Most parts are manufactured to maximum tolerances, meaning hand fitting is required to get proper function when building a new pistol from scratch. I used a small flat bastard file, 220 grit scope ring lapping compound, emery cloth, and remington 40X bore cleaner to fit the slide and polish the slideways and rails. Most of the rest of the fitting will be minor and quick. I spent about 3 hrs fitting the frame and slide and about 3 hrs polishing it and smoothing it up. Ill pass a tip to you that was passed to me from a former member of this forum about building 1911s, study the schematic, JMBs original design, then draw it yourself from memory. stash247 told me that in a PM about 2 years ago and it helped me to fully understand the way this machine is designed to work. Thanks stash, RIP.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I am using an old colt mk4 series 70 barrel and and a spare wilson combat ext. slide stop to fit this thing, they wont be there when its done. Ill use the barrel for testing purposes until the rowland ships. It will wear an extended slide stop but it will be matte black carbon steel, instead of stainless, with matching thumb safety, smith and alexander beavertail with memory pad, smith and alexander mainspring housing with sharp checkering. Im using a hogue wraparound rubber grip so no need to checker the front strap. Since its going to be a hunting pistol the rail will wear a flashlight and the finish is going to be Gunkote Matte OD. The .460 rowland generates quite a bit of recoil so the rubber grip will be much appreciated. I cant wait to take it squirrel hunting;)
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

hooah! Got the catchy spot out. About .030" lump of steel just behind the dustcover on the left side of the pistol. The guiderod was contacting it and binding, not anymore, its glass all the way down;) My parts shipped today, I should have it shooting by the weekend:)
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

ALMOST THERE!!! I just got the rest of the parts fitted and the pistol assembled. It passed its first magazine full with no hiccups, Ill bead blast it over the weekend and get er gunkoted. I have always liked my guns, alot, but I LOVE this one, almost as much as my wife.;) (ducking) :D...

Heres a few pics...

Attached Files:

12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Heres a quick update. Just got back from the workshop abrasive blasting the frame and slide with aluminum oxide 80/90 media. Im now degreasing and getting ready to apply the finish. Ill take pics and post them just before I apply the finish and then again after its been baked and cured. and then the final assembly and some final pics of the finished product. All that will leave will be a range report;)
  13. Shooter45

Looking good.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thanks bossman...
    here are a couple pics during the refinishing process. the first one is of the stripped parts heating in the oven during the degreasing process.
    The second is just after the second coat of gun-kote matte OD, they are awaiting the oven for thier cure time.

Attached Files:

15. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

Lookin good, can't wait to see the finished product!