might need help in California

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by sorral, Aug 17, 2008.

1. sorral

sorral New Member

I am looking to move back to the eastern part of the San Fransico Bay Area. Its a financial move, but do not look forward to the anti-gun attitude. Can any one get me info on any activist groups that I can look into? If I have to go back, I might as well join the fight to protect our rights!

(please, I already know about the NRA!...duh)
  2. myfaforumname

myfaforumname Former Guest

Activist groups won't do anything about the anti-gun attitude. It'd be like joining a pro-strip club organization in a bible belt. You won't convince the holy rollers that breast are normal, one of the first things you see when you're boring and that having women show them isn't going to lead to the end of society.

The world is full of people who likely disagree with you on every issue. Just be an adult and move on with it. It's a great part of the country and very safe. You likely won't need to keep a firearm as handy anyways.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Actually, if you get some East of San Francisco, into the more rural area, you will find more logical people. I don't know that country any more, but that's what I found in the 80 and mid-90s.

Pops
  4. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Moving back into the heart of the loons? Wow, well good luck and keep us informed.
  5. myfaforumname

There are plenty of people who have logical beliefs when it comes to gun control. In so far as living and working somewhere, I've known people for years only to find out that they have 20+ firearms. I know others that won't even touch one. How that relates in any way to your personal life is beyond me.

I mean, if you played golf and moved somewhere where people didn't play golf, would you be posting on a golf forum worrying about this?

I'm sure you can find people to shoot/hunt with here. In terms of everything else, I don't see why it would matter. I'm sure your significant other probably watches TV shows you hate, listens to music you hate and spends 2 hours in the bathroom just to get ready to go to the grocery store. :D That doesn't mean you don't love the person to pieces.
  6. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I'm curious how much time you have spent in California, in 2006 there was roughly 1 murder per 15,000 people... compare that to where we live, 1 murder per 34,000 people.
  7. myfaforumname

I'm there right now actually. San Francisco to be exact not far from Fisherman's Wharf. I do feel much safer here than I did in Spokane. Murder rates by state are not particularly good at showing the crime levels in different areas. Both California and Washington are two very big states.

That said, I do think you're taking my argument the wrong way. How that person wants to protect his/her house is not my business. In terms of how many guns he has, it's not like the people he meets are going to be vampire like. They're not going to avoid coming in until he assures them that there are no firearms in the house. The question isn't likely to come up. As such, what does it really matter if the people you meet are lifelong NRA members or think that any stick larger than two feet should be outlawed. It really has little bearing on a social situation.
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I disagree, and I think you do too, even if you don't realize it. Why do you prefer it there? Why do you feel safer? Crime rates are lower per person here in Washington than they are there (all violent crime rates, not just murder). I think it's because you feel more comfortable there because of the social situation. Which I fully understand reading your posts, you must feel sort of out of place in Spokane ;). For example, I grew up in Seattle but loathe the day next year when I have to return for work. It makes school actually almost enjoyable, because it brings me to Spokane :D.
  9. myfaforumname

I didn't say that I preferred it there. That said, I do. The city is amazing. It has culture, history, great food and lots of things to do. Spokane really doesn't. At least San Fran has crazy geography to explain why it is laid out the way it is. The civil planning in Spokane is terrible. Even in places where they've tried to use grids to lay out the city, they haven't numbered buildings accordingly. Not to mention that the city is dull and has nothing to do. Sorry man, you asked. I've also been in situations where a regular person would have felt very threatened by vagrants, etc.

I should note I also didn't say that I felt safer there. What I noted was that you live in Spokane. It is in a very big state. Different parts of that state have different levels of crime. San Francisco is in a very big state. Cities in states have differing levels of crime. Comparing one state with another when talking about your city really isn't a valid comparison.

In terms of the social situation, I thought the people I met in Spokane were fine. There just wasn't much to do and the city isn't laid out very well and it didn't seem clean or at all scenic. Social reasons had nothing to do with it. I got along well with the people I met. Other than Anthony's, there wasn't any place that I really wanted to eat. The same can't be said in the touristy parts of SF. Not to mention that, I could have gone to an NFL game on Sunday if I wanted. It's hard to do that in Spokane.

There's a reason why Seattle is growing by leaps and bounds and filling up with people from different parts of the country and different parts of the world. There's a lot do and see. It's laid out well, has good infrastructure, the city does a decent job of running things, there are plenty of jobs for the highly educated and lots of fun things to do on the weekends. This would of course shooting at the various ranges around the city.

I can't speak for why you have problems socializing with people in Seattle. Please don't use this as a basis for an assumption that I somehow can't get along with people in a small rural city.

The guy will have fun in San Fran. It's easy to meet people there and there's lots to do. Whether or not he has 1000000 rifles in his kitchen or not really won't matter much.

PS. When you're the first person to reply to a post, there's really no need to quote the entire post. People will get what you're talking about.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  10. nstoolman1

nstoolman1 Member

sorral
    To answer part of your question. The best thing you can do in your neck of the woods(or anywhere for that matter) is VOTE.