Mil dots ... help?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

green275
    (9/22/02 9:42:07 pm)
    Reply Mil dots ... help?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen a tasco "varmint" scope in perfect condition that I am going to put on a 10/22. It is 2.5-10x42. It also has mil dots on the reticle. I read every link I could find on the www about the mil dot system, and I think I understand their use, except for a couple things.... Is it assumed, when using the scales or tables, that you have sighted your rifle in at 100 yards? Do you have to have a 1 minute gun, or do the tables still work if your groups are not that tight?

These are the Army mil dots (round).

Also, how does adjusting the magnification on the scope affect the use of the tables?

And, just generally, does anyone know what this scope should be worth, and should I buy it, knowing tasco is gonzo?

(This post also went to technical questions section, but did't get much in the way of replies, thought I'd try here too).
    Thanks for the help!

anchored
    V.I.P. Member
    (9/23/02 12:15:26 pm)
    Reply Re: Mil dots ... help?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What kind of ranges are you planning on shooting with that 10/22? Everything I've read about mil dots makes me think they don't really become useful unless you're sniping out past a 3 or 4 hundred yards, which most people don't do with a .22.

As a dreamer of dreams and a travelling man, I have chalked up many a mile; read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles.
    -J. Buffett
    {Auction45}{Famous Flying Yen}

green275
    (9/24/02 1:59:06 am)
    hehe, I don't think Ill be shooting my 22 that far, but even at a max of 200 yds, it can be handy to be able to estimate range fairly accurately in the field. Mostly though, it is simply (for me, anyways,) an interesting capability that I would like to learn. I plan to get a .223 next, and then that skill will come more into play. (speaking of which, what do you or anyone think of the bushmaster varminter ?)

green275
    (9/24/02 8:26:46 am)
    ok, got some really good info from the technical dept. (in case anyone's interested in mil dots use).
    Thanks to y'all

wsmc667
    (10/2/02 4:17:50 am)
    green275 : (speaking of which, what do you or anyone think of the bushmaster varminter ?)

www.bushmaster.com/pcwvms24-ss9.asp

that's the 24" w/ stainless barrel, right? *drooool* i've ordered and am waiting on the 16, chromed and fluted barrel. i just want to plink out to 300 yards with the pop up sights, not really caring about tight grouping. i just walk the dust cloud on target in a few rounds. and let the lead fly. plus, i can stuff the 16" barrelled upper into a normal back pack and go for a motorcycle ride to the range, with the lower locked in a saddle bag.

i figure with the long barrel and optics, you can get real stupid. the .223 trajectory got a little silly out of the old 20" A1 i shot... wonder how the 24 affects that?

anyone in SD up for huntin prarie dog?

=)
    chris

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/2/02 8:45:12 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Mil dots ... help?
    I have eyeballed that particular Bushmaster myself a few times. You should buy one and send it up. I will shoot at the praire dogs and let you know how it does

green275 tell us what you found out about the mil dots

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/2/02 9:38:34 am)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Mil dots ... help?
    That Bushmaster Varminter is 'the shizzzz..it' as one of my friends says. I cant keep them in stock.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com
    Master Dealer for Kimber, Wilson Combat and Dan Wesson

green275
    (10/3/02 11:04:20 pm)
    Reply Re: Mil dots
    I am reliably informed that there are two kinds of mil dots. The round dots are Army, and the oval shaped ones are USMC. There is a slight difference in the measurments of the two styles, with the Marine version a bit easier to use (make calculations) IMHO. At 1000 yds, an object 3.5 inches tall would occupy 1 mildot. (The space between dots, center to center.)You can estimate range by finding known objects, measuring how many mil dots it covers, and then use a table, slide rule, or calculator to determine the range (approx).
    The tables, I am told, are based upon 10x magnification.

It seems to me that the system is outdated, what with laser rangefinders.... although in a pinch it could be useful to know how to use it. My scope, the tasco 2.5 - 10 x 42 tactical, has Army style mil dots. For what its worth.

My thanks to the several members who helped my (still limited) understanding of this concept.

My ultimate: a Bushmaster Varminter with a big ol' tactical scope with USMC style mil dot reticle. And a laser rangefinder in my back pocket.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (10/3/02 11:10:51 pm)
    ezSupporter
    Re: Mil dots
    Have you checked out Shepherd scopes? They are the cats meow