MILF and the UN / Obomba

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Marlin T, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

After I read this I thought about the speech that Obomba gave today at the UN and his references to abiding by the UN treaties.

Is this his plan for America?
    If 'we' buy into these UN treaties for us, the US, I think we will show the world what 'illegal firearms' can do. This country might rank #1 in violence for a while anyways.

[​IMG] PHILIPPINES: Illegal firearms compound Mindanao insecurity

DAPIAWAN, 23 September 2009 (IRIN) - A .45 calibre pistol is tucked into the waistband of a tricycle driver as he speeds along a desolate stretch of highway that cuts through a Muslim rebel stronghold in the southern Philippine town of Datu Piang in Mindanao.

"I can get attacked by bandits, rebels or my enemies, and my gun spells the difference between life and death," he told IRIN.

Similar scenarios are played out across this strife-torn, southern island, where violence borne out of nearly four decades of Muslim separatist insurgency by the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) has forced many civilians to acquire firearms, illegally.

The proliferation of these guns in turn perpetuates a cycle of violence that the government is struggling to contain, officials say.
    An estimated 1.1 million unlicensed firearms are owned by civilians, criminal groups and insurgents across the country, according to the Philippine National Police.

About 15,000 firearms, mostly high-powered rifles, are owned by the insurgent groups in the south of the country, including the MILF, the smaller Al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf and communist rebels, said national police chief director-general Jesus Versoza.

"We are maintaining a watchlist," he told IRIN. This is in addition to the 1.8 million licensed firearms held by the police, the military and security agencies.

Right to a gun

For Jun Miru, 42, a recent convert to Islam, owning a gun is not only for self-protection, but is a right under the teachings of his religion. "You have a right to protect yourself, to defend when attacked. How can you continue Allah's work if you are dead?" he asked.

Miru worked as a labourer in the Middle East in the 1990s with high hopes of improving his family's finances. Upon returning home, he saw a community under constant attack by rebels, and general lawlessness that put his wife and four children in danger.

"People here have many firearms. They will not respect you if you don't have a gun," he said, pointing to a traffic police officer armed with an M-16 rifle. "None of the drivers, who are also armed, would follow him if he didn't have that."

The situation has become so grim that official statistics show 97.7 percent of gun-related crimes from 2004 to 2008 were committed using unlicensed firearms. This ranks the Philippines 10th in gun homicide rates worldwide, said police chief Versoza.

"The presence of loose firearms in the country contributes to our problems with peace and order," he said. "There is a cultural propensity to possess firearms in the Philippines, especially in Mindanao."
    Versoza said political warlords considered owning many firearms a "status symbol" and a source of power.

Gun amnesty

The government has given holders of unlicensed firearms until the end of October to have them registered or face intensified crackdowns, said Versoza.

The amnesty, however, will not cover machine guns, or high-calibre rifles, grenade launchers and homemade firearms, which he said were mostly used by rebels and criminal gangs.

Versoza said the situation was expected to deteriorate as the Philippines prepared to go to the polls in May 2010 to choose a new president, half the senate, more than 250 congressmen and thousands of local officials, from village councillors to provincial governors.

To tackle the scourge, legislators had to overhaul the country's outdated firearms laws, he said.

"At present, the law on illegal firearms still allows people caught with unlicensed firearms to post bail," he said, citing an incident where members of a criminal gang caught with a truckload of firearms posted bail - and the next day carried out a bank heist.
    jg/ey/mw

Copyright © IRIN 2009
    This material comes to you via IRIN, the humanitarian news and analysis service of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. The opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the United Nations or its Member States.
    IRIN is a project of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
  2. red14

red14 Active Member

Boy, that is a relief. I thought this was about another MILF, I have seen on the internet.
  3. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

These MILFs will kill you for being infidels instead of the MILFs that will try and love you to death. This raises another question, are MILFs going to be illegal too?
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Maybe Obamanation needs to read this or is it a worthless piece of paper

(1) "THIS [the U.S.] Constitution," (2) "the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof" (i.e., as permitted by, in conformity with, and to implement this Constitution), and (3) "all treaties made....under the Authority of the United States" ("under" designates that treaties are not over, not above, and not even equal to the authority of the United States granted to it by the States via the U.S. Constitution - but remain under, inferior to its jurisdiction).

A treaty may not do or exceed what the Congress is charged to do or what it is forbidden to do. Constitutional authority supersedes, overrules, and precludes any contrary treaty authority.

Thus, if a proposed treaty would violate any provision of the Constitution, it may not even be seriously considered or debated, much less be ratified and implemented because the same restrictions that were placed by the Constitution on the U.S. Federal government are also imposed on any treaty provision.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  5. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Let's leave that second definition alone, guys -
    It falls well outside of being suitable for a family forum like TFF
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

It's so obvious what will happen in this country if we are disarmed. We don't have any criminal gangs here, right. Time for the sheepies to wake up.
  7. ampaterry

The sheepies are sound asleep, with visions of free health care dancing in their wee little heads, lulled by the peaceful tones of the refrain -

Ooobaaaahmaaah
    Ooobaaaahmaaah
    Ooobaaaahmaaah
  8. oldogy

oldogy New Member

No true er sounds were ever heard.
    oldogy
  9. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Oh look, yet ANOTHER group of Muslim "extremists" causing trouble and killing people:rolleyes: But but but, the TV says it's the religion of peace:rolleyes::rolleyes:
  10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Now, let us bow towards the White House and pray to our great new lord, master, and messiah King-Emperor Barack I His Great Awesomeness and All-Knowing Teleprompter

The Hussein is good
    The Hussein is great
    The Hussein is all
    The Hussein is all-knowing
    The Hussein is all-powerful
    The Hussein is all-seeing
    The Hussein is lord and master of all he surveys
    The Hussein is lord and master of all the known universe
    All hail The Hussein
    All glory to The Hussein
    o-BAAAAAAAAAAA-ma
    o-BAAAAAAAAAAA-ma
    o-BAAAAAAAAAAA-ma
  11. ampaterry

I understand that the prez has to say some things some times that he may not fully agree with.
    And I believe George handled some extremely bad situations in an exemplory manner.
    But when he made that remark about Islam being the religion of peace, I threw up in the back of my mouth a little bit.
    Any such claim is a either a blatent lie or based upon a complete lack of knowledge of the Koran.
    They are commanded to cut off our fingers to force us to convert.
    And if that fails, theya re commanded to cut off our heads.

Funny how the Revelation of John speaks of the martyrs in Heaven who were beheaded for their witness of Christ, isn't it?
    With the French retiring the guilotine, I believe the Moslems are the only ones still using that particular form of punishment - - -