Military 12 ga. ammo

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Sep 8, 2010.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Does anyone know what length shells the military uses? I never carried a shotgun and only fired one once in recruit training. I would have thought they'd use 3" but I saw some mil spec shotgun ammo advertised that were 2 3/4" 00 buck.
  2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

all i've ever seen was 2 3/4" shells.
  3. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

2 3/4 inch is the standard
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Thank you sir.
  5. retired grunt

retired grunt New Member

:pDon't call me SIR I work for a living :p You are very welcome
  6. 17thfabn

17thfabn New Member

If I remember correctly the 12 gauge shells we had in the Coast Guard were OO buck shot 2-3/4" shell. They came in a 10 pack that was vacume sealed in a plastic pack. The ten pack came out of a bigger box, don't remember what size it was.

The plastic wrap was fairly heavy duty.
  7. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    The shotguns we used aboard ship were hand me downs from the army and were WWII veterans so 2 3/4" was all they could shoot. We had more than just 00 but that was the standard load. We also had Thompson sub machine guns in our arms locker so now you know how well we were armed. Watches were issued 30 cal carbines and I was the BAR guy, sometimes it's not good to be built like a gorilla. The only time they ever issued me a shotgun I didn't want to give it back. :D
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

All of our USMC stuff was 2-3/4 00 buck and was winchester or remington made.
  9. medalguy

medalguy Member

"Don't call me SIR I work for a living You are very welcome"

Spoken like a true NCO!!!
  10. Smoke Rise'n

Smoke Rise'n New Member

I agree, 2 3/4 00 is the common round. I have a box [old] of Peters 12 ga. marked "U.S. Property" W478 ORD 2407 NO. PC7168CH
    EQUIV. 3-1 1/8 - 1 1/8 - 8CH
    These are 2 3/4" #8 Peters/Victor trap loads. Don't know what they were used for, other than trap?