Military Colt 1911 Grips

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by killbuck, Sep 16, 2009.

1. killbuck

killbuck New Member

Hey all: I've got a military Colt Model 1911 (not A1) with a fairly low serial #, not shot that much, and is in excellent shape. However the grips on it are plastic and I'd like to put on the standard wooden grips. All I keep finding on the net are wrap arounds, etc,etc. Can anyone give me a link to a good sight to get a pair?
    I did find one sight but at $6.95 I don't think it's what I'm looking for. I'm also debating on whether to put any rounds thu it. I don't think it's been shot more than 100-200 rounds. Would you?

Thanks in advance.
    Killbuck

My choices early in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference. :Harry Truman
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If you want the right grips for a 1911, they should be Double Diamond Walnut.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/1911-.45-Auto-D...temQQimsxZ20090914?IMSfp=TL090914169004r16318

I saw others that were Coco Bolo, some fiberglass DD, some carbon fiber DD. But it should be walnut.

One place I found 'em said the R/H grip was inletted for an ambi-safety. On a 1911, that's just wrong. The ones this guy is selling seem to be correct.

But you could do like I did. Do a search on 1911 double diamond grips.
  3. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

If you have a blued military 1911 with a low serial #; in 90% or better condition, it is too valuable (typically about $2000) to shoot.

It probably will not break any part; but it is likely pushing 90+ years old. In relative terms a take-off set of original grips and correct magazine will go for a "king's ransom" today, because of collector interest and skyrocketing prices. If you shoot it an something breaks or cracks; you kiss big bucks goodbye.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I disagree. There is no such thing as a gun too valuable to shoot. I have several guns that cost in excess of a thousand dollars. My most expensive one cost me 12 thousand, and I recently saw prices for the same gun for around 19. That's a heap of money. But I bought 'em to shoot. If you ain't gonna shoot 'em, why the hell have 'em?
  5. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Just give it a check over, clean any gunk (usually, on older guns, it would be under the stock/grips) and have a fun time. In reality, I try to stay away from collectable grade guns, for the fact that they are worth money rather then shooting.
  6. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Well I gotta agree with Alpo, why buy a gun you aint gonna shoot? I realise that many guns are for collectors but if you are only going to keep them in a safe why have them? Heaven forbid you buy one never shoot it and it gets stolen. You are just out the money and never got any enjoyment out of it.
  7. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I've got an answer to your "why by a gun your not gonna shoot".

If your like me, young, and can't keep money in a back account. That is how I save money, buy a gun 9 times out of 10 thier value won't go down if you take care of it.
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Their value won't go down, normally, but it also won't go up greatly.

I bought my Python in 1983. Paid 465 bucks. Could sell it now for around a thousand. Basically, the value has doubled in 24 years. That's a 3% return. That's better than the bank is paying right now, but that ain't no money.

Some do do better. I bought my MP5, for 12, 4 years ago. They're around 18 or 19, now. That's 50% increase in 4 years. That's a 9% return.
  9. killbuck

killbuck New Member

Thanks for the feed back from everyone. Would have wrote sooner but my pewter fan started howling last night and just put a new one in. Getting the grips from ebay so thanks for the link. As for shooting it I probably will but I don't shoot as often as I would like it still won't be that much.

Thanks again guys.
  10. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

My take would be to clean it up, put some walnut on it and then go shoot it! When will you ever have the chance to shoot a gun like that if you don't? make the most of your opportunities, especially since it's already had rounds through it. Granted, if something does happen to break, it may be costly, but I would think that it would be worth every penny.

As far as owning collectible firearms that you'll never fire; I could care less; it's the people that will never OWN a firearm that I have to wonder about. :rolleyes: I do think there are guns out there that shouldn't be shot in order to maintain their collectors value, but these are rare IMO.
  11. jondar

jondar New Member

I shoot my Model 1911 made in 1918 quite often. Granted, I load the rounds down a little, not that the gun won't take it, but the hammer bite is less. Rounds made in 1918 aren't much different ballistically than ones made today. Shoot it and enjoy it.