Military crimp on PMC ammo?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by CJ7365, May 13, 2009.

1. CJ7365

CJ7365 Member

I just went to reload some .223 ammo using once fired PMC brass, cleaned, deprimed and resized. I went to seat the primer and no go, I didn't want to force it, so I picked another peice of brass and same thing, I looked on the bottom and its got a MC:confused: . I didn't really noticed it when I was cleaning the pocket, I thought LC was the only one with the MC

Guess I got one more step to do before reloading.
  2. olmossbak

olmossbak New Member

Yep, I learned that the hard way many years ago when I had a Mini 14. I learned it by breaking a decapping pin. I had to buy hardened pins (still got 'em) and a primer pocket reamer. The upside is, once done, done forever.

Oh yea, the Mini 14 is long gone. Looked really great but wouldn't hit a bull in the butt in a phone booth.
  3. Blackout

Blackout New Member

Does military surplus .223 always have a crimped primer? I have some, and it doesn't look crimped, but it does have the red sealant. Is it obvious? I haven't started reloading .223 yet, but will real soon.

Thanks.
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

you can remove the military crimp with a standard chamfer tool. the end for chamfering the inside of the case mouth will fit perfectly in small primer pockets and doesnt bottom out in large primer pockets. Even the cheesy little LEE chamfer tool works well;)
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Most military surplus (45, 9mm, 30/06, 308, 30 carbine), not just 5.56, has a crimped-in primer. I have heard that it was to prevent problems when using it in full auto guns. This makes sense, but then howcome the miltary 38 Specials have a crimped in primer? To the best of my knowledge, nobody make a 38 special machinegun.
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

They did it to make the shell casings tamper evident. Have you ever read about any of the highly covert operations of mac-sog during the vietnam conflict. Those guys wreaked havoc on enemy moral and caused distrust in the firearms and ammunitions providers (the chinese). They ran an article about thier dutys in american rifleman a few months ago. They had a neat job;)
  7. CJ7365

CJ7365 Member

Most all my .223/5.56 brass is LC or PMC, I have about 600 brass peices ready to reload, far most the best and fastest decrimping tool has been the Hornady pocket reamer//http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=501588 its also the easiest on the fingers, the Lee one works well but is a killer on the fingers

Blackout, ALL military ammo has a military crimp, like olmossbak said once its done then its done