Military defense budget

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by ShawnDow, Oct 22, 2012.

1. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

Gene (my son 15) and I are watching the 2 children bickering on CNN.. (presidential debate) and the term military defense budget kept coming up... Gene promptly pipes in.. we don't have a defense budget.. we have an offensive military budget!
    Kudos boy!
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  2. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Member

Yeah, but the best way to never have to fight is to leave no doubt that you can beat the other guy.

I.e., a good offense is a good defense.
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

why did Obama keep saying that the military wasn't asking for more money? I'm pretty sure they'd take it, I know I like the idea of having retirement, I think we could certainly use more money. At least don't take any away.
  4. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

You got it backwards.

The best defense is a great offense.

Meaning We should have nothing but the best most cutting edge technology for our military.
  5. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

the problem is with human nature; if a nation has a strong military the people high up in the government will find a reason to use it against their neighbors. sadly, instead of using ours against our neighbors to the south(who richly deserve it), we use it against people far, far away who are no longer a direct threat to us.
  6. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Having worked for the Dept of Defense and Dept of Army as an operational auditor. Congress CAN overload the budget when accross the board increases are given OR accross the board cuts. I have seen while auditing more waste because commanders blew more funding at fiscal year end just so could justify the funding for the following year. On USELESS Bull often overstocking items they DO not need (expendable supplies) that have expiration dates on them OR just sit in some warehouse that command has forgotten about due to interim changes of command and NO institutional memory of what has been purchased in the past.
  7. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

Not too sure how to take 'we have an offensive military budget'. Can't remember who said it, but there's an old quote - 'Those who beat their swords into plow shears always end up plowing for those who didn't'.

In my military career, one of the many hats that I wore was forcasting budgets for a very large aviation unit. The usual - and wasteful - process was to forcast at least 10% over what you needed, and then when the cut budget came back you were about what you really wanted to honestly ask for in the first place. Be that ammunition, fuel or financial requirements.

A good example was our ammunition forcasts for training and annual weapons qualification. If for some reason we didn't expend 100% of the ammunition allocated for the current fiscal year for ANY reason, our following year's request was automatically reduced by that amount. That meant that we would not have sufficient ammuniton allocated to do our annual weapons qualification. That's just part of the red tape and politcal realities.
  8. ShawnDow

ShawnDow Member

jim B.
    thats interesting and makes sense...
    I ment no harm to the ,military and the people within.
    I was just making the comment and silly quip that my 15 year old was making a play on words. I understand the need for a budget.. and understand we need gear for the military, be it food to fodder... the supplies are needed
    I guess in the age of being "politically correct" they need to adjust the vocabulary to suit. My boy was just playing with the words.

And on a serious side...
    For all those that have served and those that will... this medically disqualified military wanted to be thanks you for doing what we the people need in order to have our freedoms.