military footlocker

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by jfr7952@aol.com, Aug 22, 2010.

1. jfr7952@aol.com

jfr7952@aol.com New Member

the little doors are on the bottom of the footlocker. any ideas as to what they were for??

Attached Files:

2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Rather than a barracks foot locker, it looks to be some type of equipment storage box. I for one have never seen one with the small doors as such. I would like to learn more myself.:D
  3. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

4. Dakota Red 1

Dakota Red 1 New Member

A propriatary plywood G.I. credenza.
    Slot for a shelf, lock-open bars on the lid, I think this would be for storage, transportation and utilization of something like communications equipment. When put into operation at a Tactical Operations Center in the field, it would be placed latch-side down on a folding table or something, the lid locked open and then cables could be run through the doors in the back (formerly the bottom) to the equipment resting on the shelves. Then you get out your folding chair, plug in your microphone headset, then sit in front of it and try to look alert enough that you don't catch any heat from the major.
    OR, I could be full of crap and the little doors are for reaching out donuts.
    No, I've never seen one either.
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Cable outlet, of course! Pardon me while I go kick myself in the butt for over looking the obvious. I think that's exactly what the little doors are.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

its a radio box....

open the box pull out the pedal power unit you could rig up a seat and use your legs or grab a dumb private and get him to use his arms , turn the pedals and power is on

next is to string the antenna the kit has two sling shots and twine with lead balls for pulling a antenna up a tree or pole
    the kit had maybe a couple hundred foot of rope and a 50 foot dipole antenna
    a couple head sets and a couple microphones and all the plugs jack, and spares ( valves etc) and a 18 foot sectional whip antenna

theres a famous shot of Monty meet a surrendering German general the radio box is in the tent in the background as you have it there and you'll see the holes as plain as day
    the holes are for the plugs that go into the power regulator rectifier ( zenner diode type)
    on the far right

the top left is the antenna connection and the bottom is for mains power

the unit was placed on the table or two saw horses and the lid became the desktop
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2010