1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Military is going back to the 1911?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rglbegl, Mar 29, 2004.

1. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I live in socal next to Camp Pendleton. All the boys here say the rumor is spreading about the marines moving back to the 1911. Has anyone heard any solid info? all I get is hearsay from the grunts. I need somebody who knows the real deal to let us know.
    This would be a giant stride for the 1911 and the .45 bullet.

Again, if anyone has any solid info, I would love to hear it

--Beagle - 1911 fan for life
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Beagle, this rumor has been floating around for a while now. Seems the Beretta isn't doing so well. As I recall, the Berreta failed the Gov't testing procedure 3 times before it passed. The 1911 worked since it's inception. Some one must have made alot of $$ off the Beretta contract.

This will be a wait and see game. If the rumor is true, the Marines will be getting NEW 1911's since most all the old ones are worn out from all the years of reliable service.
  3. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

ya if they do it will probably be some high cap polymer crap
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I'm guessing Springfield will get the contract if it ever happens.
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

You forgot to say..."Duck, here comes Glocknut !!!!"

Yep, would'nt it be quite a deal if the US Military started passing out Glocks to our soldiers........

hehehe....you (*^&er's would just go nuts !!!..... hehehe
    :D :p

that would just make my day....... :p

mike
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
  6. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

The Marines have been issuing the 1911A1 to MEUs (SOC) for a while now. Other special warfare types (SEALS, Delta, Green Beanies) have always had some flexibility in choice of weapons. Whether the 1911A1 will ever again be a general issue weapon is another story.

The HK USP is a more likely (not necessarily better) candidate to replace the Italian Scallion (Berretta).
  7. wuzzagrunt

wuzzagrunt New Member

..........and no, not the Glock.
  8. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Although not a big TV watcher, last night caught Nightline (anyone else?) Noticed that the Forces in this last battle with Pakistan troops in their attempt to take that hill with the surprise guest (once again---not there) US troops (all shown-many) were carring suppressed M16`s, not really a CAR either, sidearms also appeared to be 1911`s. First time for me to see ALL troops shown with suppressors.

LTS
  9. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Military.com has reported a lot of negative feedback on the M9 from troops in the field. Frequent breakages, a lot of malfunctions due to dust/dirt, and not enough stopping power.

Also, much negative feedback of the lack of range of the M-16....mostly coming out of Eastern Afganistan.
  10. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

It has always been my contention that every branch of the military should use a combination of firearms for specific purposes and not get too bogged down with contracts, be it with Colt, Glock, or Beretta. ,which are all exceptional firearms makers.
    The most effective approach is to use a combination of firearms and adapt to the 21st century battlefield, which includes precision theater and urban warfare to combat terrorism. In such a case, you need everything from .22rimfire to a tank.
  11. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Remington......that would be a supply nightmare. Trying to stock spare parts and ammunition for a bunch of different guns....no ability to share ammunition within a unit. It would be utter chaos.

During WWII, the LMG (Browning M1919), the squad automatic weapon (BAR M1918), and standard rifle (M1903 and later, M1) all took the same ammunition.......30-06. That's the ideal situation.
  12. Silencer

Silencer Well-Known Member

I remember an article when the govt. first decided to switch the .45ACP for the 9MM, and the writer wrote, "If I were the enemy, I would much prefer to be shot with the 9mm than the .45ACP"

I can wait for an official announcement that our military will right a wrong, and switch back to the .45ACP.
  13. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

It would be interesting to get the opinions of Iraqi war vets on how effective the Beretta 9mm has been over there, and primarily against insurgents in urban warfare situations. I have a feeling that they will speak very highly of it. Although I hear, alot have been using confiscated Makarovs and Llamas.