Military rifles

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/17/01 9:23:36 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Military rifles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Everyone has made me want to purchase a old military rifle.
    Has anyone heard of a 303 Jungle Carbine and is $299 a good price?

I am open to other suggestions if you have them.

AntiqueDr
    (10/17/01 9:26:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Military rifles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not a particularly good price. I'd be happy to sell you an original No.5 Mk I Jungle Carbine for $219 plus shipping...

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/17/01 9:49:04 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del MK
    DO YOU HAVE A PIC? Is it a 303 also?
    Is it a good rifle to shoot?

AntiqueDr
    (10/17/01 10:05:34 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: MK
    Yes, they are .303's. Probably the same gun you are looking at. Recently there have been converted Jungle Carbines put on the market that were cut down and built up from other Enfield models. Now, original 1940's production No.5 Mk I "Jungle Carbines" are being imported.

I'll send you pics via email.

www.apaxenterprises.com

warpig883
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/17/01 7:11:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: MK
    I did a fair amount of deer hunting and plinking with a .303 and my brother in law shot some antelope with it. Ain't nothing wrong with that round at all
    Don't mind me, I am a blithering idiot:)

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/17/01 9:05:37 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Quality
    What kind of quality should I expect?

AntiqueDr
    (10/17/01 9:08:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Quality
    Many people rate the British SMLE rifles as the best bolt action battle rifle ever made. (I prefer the Mauser, but that's just me.) The No.5 Mk I were produced as shorter, lighter versions of the standard battle rifle of the day.

Good, solid dependable rifle. No gilt-edged accuracy, but sufficient for its purpose.

www.apaxenterprises.com

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/17/01 9:09:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Round
    And how hard is the round to find?

AntiqueDr
    (10/17/01 9:10:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Round
    Surplus is readily available and cheap. Also loaded commercially by the biggies.

www.apaxenterprises.com

polishshooter
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/17/01 10:17:24 pm)
    I know where there are two originals right now in a gunshop, one is really decent, and he's asking $265, the other is rattier and he wants $220...and I can buy them for $189.99 with my CRFFL just like he did... He also has a No. 4 that's REALLY ratty for $65 that I can't take my eyes off....

Yeah, I really want one too, but that is about 4-5 Nagants so I can't bring my self to "pull the trigger..." just yet...

Might trade my SKS for one though...
    It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of the deed could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming, who does actually strive to do the deeds, who knows the great enthusiasms and spends himself in a worthy cause, who at best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly. His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat. -Theodore Roosevelt 1898

TallTLynn
    (10/17/01 10:39:53 pm)
    polishshooter - I love my .303 (even if the one I've been shooting has been sporterized).

They shoot really, really nice.

And one is never enough!

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/18/01 9:10:09 am)
    I heard the "jungle version" kicks real hard and has poor accuracy. On the other hand I've heard nothing but good things about the regular .303.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/18/01 9:33:07 am)
    the brass on 303's is short lived can't reload more than 4-5 times, dosen't seem to matter whether they are max or not, I've got a sporterized #4 MkI shoots good and want to mount a scope on it or even a peep rear sight but have been unable to find a base, when it was converted (Golden State Arms) the rear of the receiver was milled flat anybody got any suggestions?

AntiqueDr
    (10/18/01 9:57:22 am)
    Have to use 2-piece bases. You'd think they would mill the rear receiver ring to match some other rifle... If all else fails, several mount manufacturers offer blank mounts for mill-to-fit applications.

www.apaxenterprises.com

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/18/01 10:17:46 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Mauser
    What is a good price for a good MAUSER? What round does it fire?

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/18/01 10:46:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Mauser
    Mausers came in a variety of caibers in fact Bob had/has a couple in 30/06

Bob In St Louis
    (10/18/01 12:33:31 pm)
    All different types of Mausers, in all different types of calibers. 6.5 Swedish Mauser, 7mm Mauser, 8mm Mauser, 30-06, and a few other more rare varients. Probably one of the best deals going right now are the 8mm Turkish Mausers. Probably can find one $60 to $75 retail.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

TallTLynn
    (10/18/01 6:19:34 pm)
    AntiqueDr - the base for my scope mount is one piece on my Enfield - still haven't figured out what it is but the small Weaver mount rings work on it.

WyomingSwede
    (10/20/01 6:48:05 am)
    .303 is a good round..comparable to 30-06. I have a couple SMLE's that I toy with. Accuracy is good but not a benchrest gun. I started my son off with a Santa Barbara SMLE. Shot his first antelope with it...never looked back...loves it to death. (14 yr old)
    Got to agree with Bob & the doc about the turkish mauser being the best buy on the market right now, 8mm is also comparable to the 30-06 and the Turk is easily sporterized. As the tall T can attest...they shoot equally well in their original configuration. Mauser action has no equals in my opinion. That what everything else has been derived from.
    Surplus ammo is relatively cheap on both....cant really go wrong either way. JMHO regards swede
    Wyoming Swede

AntiqueDr
    (10/20/01 6:55:53 am)
    The Turks on the market now are dirt cheap. I have one I bought about a year ago with an eye toward converting it, just have not had the time (sigh). Condition runs from surprisingly good (for the money) to you-get-what-you-pay-for.

If I were buying one to keep as-is, I'd go for one of the Yugo M48's on the market now.

www.apaxenterprises.com

zombiedawg
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/20/01 7:42:39 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Mauser
    Ya'll are starting to change my mind. Maybe a Mauser is what I am looking for. Don't place that order quite yet for that carbine AntiqueDr.
    What is a Yugo M48? What do they run?

Xracer
    (10/21/01 3:59:44 pm)
    Don't give up on that Jungle Carbine so easily. It's a great deer gun in brush or timber country, just as it is. No modification necessary.

TallTLynn
    (10/21/01 4:33:11 pm)
    XRacer is right - the Turkish Mauser is not a tiny rifle and the Jungle Carbine is meant for brush.

polishshooter
    (10/22/01 8:17:05 pm)
    ...And you'll have to bend the bolt on the Turk to mount a scope...but I think the Yugo is bent already, isn't it Doc?

I've seen some REALLY nice Yugos recently, and many come with lots of accessories, bayos and pouches and stuff.

But I still like the Jungle better...it was a MUCH better "battle" rifle than ANY Mauser.

And the MOST used as well as LONGEST used military BA was definitely NOT derived from "Herr Mauser the Showman" (Colonel "Sergi" Mosin and Mssr. Emile Nagant did that one!)

"Step right up for your snake oil, Ladies and gents! I'll make it in any caliber you want..."
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

AntiqueDr
    (10/22/01 11:29:06 pm)
    Yes, the M48 has a bent bolt. You may still have to contour the bolt handle depending on the scope choice and mount. Not a big deal, no welding involved.

The M48's are being advertised at around $149 dealer cost in excellent condition. Although I have not seen one, I understand they are actually excellent condition. You can get lesser condition for $109. (but why?)

www.apaxenterprises.com

polishshooter
    (10/23/01 12:37:55 pm)
    To save $40 that's why! And you can take the savings and buy a MN with it too! Geez, even I can figure THAT out!

Actually, Doc, it WAS a $109 one that caught my eye...

I was in AIM buying ratty 91/30s over the counter and the guy next to me asked to see one, and when it came out of the box it was FINE looking, and matching. Just some scratches on the stock, not many, but then compared to what I was looking at, they were Excellent +++

I almost walked out with ONE gun for a little over $100 rather than three....
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915