Military Ring Question

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by rk3006, Jan 29, 2005.

1. rk3006

rk3006 New Member

Hi guys, I read the post on here about the ring and it reminded me about the one I have. I bought it years ago at a antique show, it's sterling silver and somewhat worn from use. On the front is a wing in a circle attached to a head or skull looks to be flying, on each side is a eagle holding the american flag shield. The inside is stamped 217th Aero Sqdn. I think it's from WW1 or WW2. Anybody know what this is? Thanks.
  2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Welcome, this could be a "Ruptured Duck" Military Ring.
    Do a google search and you should be able to gather
    plenty of info about it.
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi rk3006.......welcome to TFF.

Can you possibly post a closeup picture of the ring?

The term "Aero Squadron" would place it in WWI. In WWII they were called "Fighter Squadrons".

If, indeed, this is from WWI, then it isn't a "ruptured duck" (honorable discharge). They weren't issued until after May 1943 for honorable service after 9 September 1939.

"In a directive dated 13 May 1944, the War Department General Staff authorized the Honorable Service Lapel Button to be manufactured in gold color metal or gold plated plastic."

http://members.aol.com/dischargecert/duck.htm#que
  4. jamesed

jamesed New Member

I would suspect that the ring dates to world war one. The reason for this is the inscreption 217 Aero Squadron.

The United States dropped the Aero Squadaron befor world war two. They aviation units became fighter/persuit squadrons, bomber squadrons, patrol squadrons etc.

I tried a quick google search on 217 Aero Squadron and found nothing. How ever on Yahoo I found an entry about a
    Lt Harry Cambell Preston being transfered from to the 217 Aero Squadron flying out of Tangmere. When I opened the link it was a brief synopsis of a book that had the war time experienes of many different people in it.

Tangmere appears to be a joint RAF/Army Air Corps training base on the coast of England. It was used for the training of aircraft crewmen (mainly bomber crewmen) in world war one. I suspect that the 217th Aero Squadron was a training squadron posted at Tangmere.

I hope this helps.
  5. rk3006

rk3006 New Member

Thanks for all of your help, I sent a e-mail inquiring about this ring to the air museum at Tangmere England. This was the best lead I had and if they know anything about this ring I will post a reply. rk3006
  6. Xracer

BTW, back in WWI, what's now known as the RAF (Royal Air Force) was called the RFC.....Royal Flying Corps.

Anyway, please let us know what you find out.....and please post a picture of the ring (if you can).
  7. rk3006

rk3006 New Member

8. Xracer

Well, that's obviously not a Ruptured Duck.

I'd say that it's probably the logo of the WW1 217th Aero Squadron.

I've searched Google and can find no reference to that squadron, but you might try the Air Force Historical Research Agency at:

Phone: (334) 953-2395 or DSN 493-2395 or
    600 Chennault Circle, Bldg 1405
    Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6424
  9. CharlieD

CharlieD New Member

10. DavidH

DavidH New Member

My grandfather was in the 217 Aero Squadron. He enlisted in Dayton and learned to fly at Kelley Field in San Antonio. I have a postcard showing the “War Eagles” in Galveston. I asked about the War Eagles at the Kelley Field museum. They only had knowledge of the War Eagles in WWII.
    My grandfather was involved with Pershing’s persuit of Pancho Villa into Mexico, so the ring could go back that far.
    Please post a picture!
  11. Mike Taylor

Mike Taylor New Member

I put my school's name on it.Basically, you just need to pick any school you want. The name of the school will be on the ring. If you choose to design Military Ring, hen it would say US Army or something like that.I didn't know about this website untill my school has an annoucement that students can go to the website, design the school ring and bring the order to school to get 40% off lol.
  12. wpage

wpage New Member

Can you post a standard picture of this item...
  13. krehztim

krehztim New Member

I recently found out my grandfather's cousin served in the 217th Aero. After serving at Kelly Field, he was moved to Garden City, Long Island. At some point, he served in the 264th Aero as well. It's definitely WWI, and I have one picture of this cousin with helmet and goggles. Not sure if it was the 217th or 264th that was in Garden City, but it's another possible lead for you to pursue, if you're still looking for info.
  14. DavidH

DavidH New Member

RK, I am interested in purchasing this ring if you still have it.
  15. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I found references to the 217th in both Maryland and in New York, both in 1919.

It was commanded by Major ADLAI H. GILKESON in early 1919 at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in MD. He later rose to Brig. General -